Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speed Cameras In Catseyes!

aido

Now they are taking the *****

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13449128,00.html

Catseyes are set to become speed traps after Britain's top traffic officer revealed plans to hide tiny cameras in the reflective road studs.

Richard Brunstrom, head of the Association of Chief Police Officers, says the Catseyes cameras will help trap persistent speeding motorists.

The new cameras will sit inside the Catseyes and when a speeding car races over the device, it will break an infrared beam triggering the camera to snap the number plate.

Mr Brunstrom says the new devices are needed to help control Britain's "lawless" roads and motorways.

"Its all about bringing road policing into core police work," he says.

By law, speed cameras have to be clearly visible but the new plans could go against government guidelines.

Road safety groups have criticised the plan as a secret money-making scheme.

A spokesman for the AA said the public would see the Catseyes cameras as a "devious" ploy to raise money and the RAC complained Mr Brunstrom was using "Big Brother tactics" to police UK traffic.

Malaysia already uses similar technology where the cameras can instantly check if your car is taxed and insured.

I'd be happy if they used the technology for tax and insurance but they're taking the ***** now, the whole idea of speed cameras is supposed to be that they promote safety - you see one and you slow down - these just emphasise the fact they are there for money making purposes which the government always denies!

Why don't they focus on the lawless streets of Britain where people are sometimes afraid to go out rather than focussing on the motorist?!

Sounds like you know something Jason, from some other comments you've made in the past I'm guessing your work involves something in relation to the public highways?

Any info mate please?

Bugger :lol:

So it's you that's making all these things :P

nope, but there is a company in the UK, Astucia, they have a few reference projects around the UK.. Personaly I wouldn't hold your breath... like I said... must have been a slow news day!

Cool, so I'm guessing they're talking a combination of these detectors:

http://www.astucia.co.uk/catalog_product.aspx?prod_id=32

And then these cameras:

http://www.astucia.co.uk/catalog_product.aspx?prod_id=31

So they're not actually in catseyes - they're just embedded into the road!

The media will talk about anything nowadays!

Cool, so I'm guessing they're talking a combination of these detectors:

http://www.astucia.co.uk/catalog_product.aspx?prod_id=32

And then these cameras:

http://www.astucia.co.uk/catalog_product.aspx?prod_id=31

So they're not actually in catseyes - they're just embedded into the road!

The media will talk about anything nowadays!

I wouldnt like to speculate too much but... seeing as they have just finalised a financial agreement with Golden River Traffic who make the Marksman ANPR kit etc and have a distinguished reputation within the traffic measurement industry you never know where that is going to lead.... it wouldn't supprise me if the Malaysia job was a joint venture that formed their relationship... anyway.. I am Holiday so enough talking about work! :lol:

:lol:

Hello, my name is Jason, and I work for Astucia :P

I think those solar powered LED lights to replace catseyes are a phenomenal idea - I mean how often are you going down a country lane struggling to see where the road disappears - it makes everything, overtaking, driving, absolutely everything easier at night!

I bet it would even cut down on the amount of street lighting needed as these would be self sufficient and to the job nicely!

Will be interesting to see how things turn out.

As long as my Origin warns me about them I'll be sort of happy :o

Looks like I'll have to start carrying a tar boiler round in the back of the car, to take care of these little beasties!

Then again, could be a bit messy. One of these gas powered nailers'll have to do instead...

p2446057_x.jpg

Can't beleive that's not been thought of before - obvious and simple with so many advantages!!

They've got some awesome catseyes on a small stretch of road on the A338 between Downton and salisbury which are amazingly bright and when you go past they stay lit for ages. It was a bit wierd when I saw them in my mirror though as I thought I was going the wrong way

:)

:lol:

Hello, my name is Jason, and I work for Astucia :P

I think those solar powered LED lights to replace catseyes are a phenomenal idea - I mean how often are you going down a country lane struggling to see where the road disappears - it makes everything, overtaking, driving, absolutely everything easier at night!

I bet it would even cut down on the amount of street lighting needed as these would be self sufficient and to the job nicely!

Will be interesting to see how things turn out.

As long as my Origin warns me about them I'll be sort of happy :o

id rather they spent the money creating decent road surfaces rtaher than wasting it on stupid things

like the stupid over head signs,

"dont drink and drive"

"the m1 junction8 is closed" - chri$t i was over 300 miles away when i saw that one

and solar powered Cats eyes, thats another stupid idea, whats wrong with reflectors

off to go look forr shares in rediculous companies that make such things now

id rather they spent the money creating decent road surfaces rtaher than wasting it on stupid things

like the stupid over head signs,

"dont drink and drive"

"the m1 junction8 is closed" - chri$t i was over 300 miles away when i saw that one

and solar powered Cats eyes, thats another stupid idea, whats wrong with reflectors

off to go look forr shares in rediculous companies that make such things now

The signing you mention is strategic signing... if you were planning on using Jct 8, then you would be glad to see that sign instead of being stuck at the end of a long tail back.

The signs are all linked and conteolled from TCC (in the majority of cases) so if there is an incident, drivers are for warned enough to be able to take a suitable detour (like A43 / M40 or A14/A1 in the above case)...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links