Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Starter Motor Problem - I Think!

Hi

Joined the club a few months ago when I purchased a very early LS400. What a car! However, when I started it this morning it immediately started making a loud knocking noise on tick-over. After a few attempts the knock reduced, but now the engine does not appear to turn, although I can hear what sounds like the starter motor spinning.

I am assuming the starter motor is at fault - unless anyone has any other ideas. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated, and, if it is the starter, any tips on repacement etc. The car has done 150,000 miles, has been running just fine, and never gets thrashed - not that I could even if I wanted to.

Thanks

Chris :crybaby:

Hi,

So the engine started up fine and ran smooth just the knocking noise as it ran?

If so then the starter could have not disengaged and damaged the teeth,thats why it might not be turning the engine over now.

Someone else might have more info for you if you can explain in more detail.

Cheers chips.

Hi,

So the engine started up fine and ran smooth just the knocking noise as it ran?

If so then the starter could have not disengaged and damaged the teeth,thats why it might not be turning the engine over now.

Someone else might have more info for you if you can explain in more detail.

Cheers chips.

Hi Chips.

Thanks for your reply. The explanation about the knocking on start up makes sense, in that the noise started immediately the engine was running. But I spoke too soon about the engine not turning over now. It does, but it won't start or try to start at all. It's just that I didn't have anyone with me at the time to check and it just didn't sound like it was turning. Sorry about the confusion.

Cheers

Chris.

Hi,

So when the engine was running but knocking you turned the engine off or did it stop on its own?

If you stopped the engine then it might not be restarting because the starters not turning the engine over fast enough because the starters damaged or when the engine was running the starter was also running and its run the Battery low on power.

The engine also might not be starting because the flywheel sensor is damaged :unsure: so its not telling the Ecu the engines turning over.

Or like others are thinking it could be the timing belts broken,like they say check that the belts ok.

Good luck.

cheers chips.

Hi,

So when the engine was running but knocking you turned the engine off or did it stop on its own?

If you stopped the engine then it might not be restarting because the starters not turning the engine over fast enough because the starters damaged or when the engine was running the starter was also running and its run the battery low on power.

The engine also might not be starting because the flywheel sensor is damaged :unsure: so its not telling the Ecu the engines turning over.

Or like others are thinking it could be the timing belts broken,like they say check that the belts ok.

Good luck.

cheers chips.

Hi Chips

The mystery deepens. Checked the timing belt (which by now I was almost hoping was the culprit) and found it was fine. Not even loose, so no chance of it jumping out of sync. Out of frustration or desperation tried turning the engine. Seemed to be trying to fire. Eventually it did and after belching out a lot of smoke it ran as smooth as it always had. No dodgy exhaust smoke, no funny noises, no squeaks, rattles or rolls. No water loss, no overheating, good oil pressure and it drives just fine. It is a mystery, especially after the severity of the knocking/banging.?????

Glad there seems no signs of damage,maybe the starter motor did jam and was engaged when it was running?

i dont know how tricky it is to get to the starter and remove it,myself i would take or get a garage to take the starter motor off and check it over just to be on the safe side,never know when it might let you down :unsure:

Cheers chips.

As above! but it is a fair dismantling job to get to the motor.

It is between the inlet manifolds, which have to be removed.

Not sure if I read somewhere that someone managed to get it out without removing the manifold, well worth checking the USA LOC web site.

cheers B)

Glad there seems no signs of damage,maybe the starter motor did jam and was engaged when it was running?

i dont know how tricky it is to get to the starter and remove it,myself i would take or get a garage to take the starter motor off and check it over just to be on the safe side,never know when it might let you down :unsure:

Cheers chips.

Think I'll let a garage have a quick check. Glad to be back in it. Thanks for your help.

As above! but it is a fair dismantling job to get to the motor.

It is between the inlet manifolds, which have to be removed.

Not sure if I read somewhere that someone managed to get it out without removing the manifold, well worth checking the USA LOC web site.

cheers B)

Hi

Is anything simple on these cars? But I guess this is what sets them apart. I'll let you know if I find anything on US website.

Thanks

Chris

sounds like it could have been the starter motor stuck in to make the noise .. also the reason it belched out a lot of smoke when it did start is possibly over fueling .. that would explain why it wouldn't start up after you turned it off.. ( flooded ) .

just a thought .

Keiron...

sounds like it could have been the starter motor stuck in to make the noise ..  also the reason it belched out a lot of smoke when it did start is possibly over fueling .. that would explain why it wouldn't start up after you turned it off..  ( flooded ) .

just a thought .

Keiron...

Hi Keiron

That would make sense. It hasn't done it since, so I hope it was a one-off incident.

Thanks,

Chris

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links