Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stone Chips

andrewr

This has probably been done to death, but....... I'm on my second IS and my front pillar (round windscreen) has a stone chip right on the edge and has gone all the way through the paintwork. The car is 9 weeks old, and theres RUST! Funny thing is the exact same thing happened to the last car. RUST though! Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Whats the best way to solve this (paint being the obvious solution), any chance lexus will sort this out, clearly its a problem as its happened on both of my cars.

I've got one of those stone chip peeps looking at it Monday, are these any good (lexus dealer type).

Thanks!

Andrew.

I had one of these companies come to my house, after my wife clipped the front spoiler on a kerb (on previous car, Honda Accord Sport). He managed to get the same colour match but couldn't achieve the same metallic effect. It may be okay if your car is not metallic. The only good thing was I said it didn't look right and he didn't charge me - quite right as well. May be best to see what dealer has to say first, Goodluck.

This is dead spooky but i also picked up a nasty chip on the passenger side A pillar recently.

Taken the paint off down to 'grey' ... galvanise i assume ?? Even so, going a bit orangey ...

Now, using Lexus own guidelines for what is a paint defect ... which say ...

"If the colour coat has been removed over an area larger than 2mm in diameter and the middle coat has not been damaged"

Yep - got that, diameter of about 4 or 5 mm so i should be able to get it repainted.

But, obviously to paint this bit properly, need to have the screen out ... so do i just make do with a touch up ?

Should hopefully be getting front bumper repainted soon.

May have to insist on a full front end paintjob - bumper, bonnet, wings, pillars ... all chipped badly.

This really IS getting beyond a joke. Lexus should acknowledge this fault - for that's what it plainly is,

and put it right before the many IS200's round here reach 2 yrs old - Can you say JD Power :(

Also notice the deafening silence in threads about how crap the IS200 paint is from the lexus people who look at this site.

In the meantime, i'd recommend not sneezing, shouting, or talking harshly near your paint - it'll just leap off the car if you do ...

• 2 weeks later...

The car is 9 weeks old, and theres RUST! Funny thing is the exact same thing happened to the last car.  RUST though!   Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Which parts of the body are galvanised as it's obvious the whole car isn't!

I believe it's all galv apart from the roof.

Not sure if that includes the pillars ...

There's certainly grey under my blue A-Pillars which looks like galv.

The car is 9 weeks old, and theres RUST! Funny thing is the exact same thing happened to the last car.  RUST though!   Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Which parts of the body are galvanised as it's obvious the whole car isn't!

I believe it's all galv apart from the roof.

Not sure if that includes the pillars ...

There's certainly grey under my blue A-Pillars which looks like galv.

I have rust on the wing just under the indicator and also on the front edge of the rear wing where it meets the rear door so I don't think the whole car is galvanised. I'll ask my dealer on Friday when they sort out a misting rear lens.

The grey you see could be primer.

Tony,

Can you let me know where you got the Lexus quote from? I'm gonna be tackling my local garage about this soon (again) and it would be nice to have the information to back up my argument.

Thanks ...... Pete

That quote was from a Lexus dealer - they have a book on the subject ...

It has pictures of various types of damage to help them.

Dealers can authorise up to £300 of body / paint repair themselves.

Above this figure, they have to clear it with Lexus.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links