Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Test Drive Soon

I've told my local dealer straight... if I'm spending £25-30K on something I'll own for the next 3/4 years and do 40-50K miles in, I can't decide by driving it round the block. I want it for 24hrs minimum.

I recently looked at getting a BMW 120d Auto for company use. They offered me the car for an hour, with a salesman in tow. I told them I wanted the car for a whole weekend or it's no deal. They gave in. (Hate to say it, was quite a good car apart from the badge, but I said no thanks).

At the end of the day you want to be able to try the car in all the conditions you'd normally expect to encounter - motorway, country lanes, heavy traffic, round town, daylight, dark, wet, dry, with 1 occupant, with 4 occupants & luggage, etc. You can't do that in 45 mins.

Before ordering an IS250 I had two test drives one for 30 minutes with salesguy and one for 2 hours unaccompanied. That was enough for me.

When I bought my IS200 three years ago I again had two test drives one for 20 minutes (accompanied) and another for 24 hours. But most of that time was spent with the car on my drive and me grinning from ear to ear. :D

I even cleaned the car I loved it that much. Sad I know.

My first test drive was 2 hours, unaccompanied. I still regard that as just an initial spin to see if there is anything that you don't like. I then booked an overnight loan (Fri-Sat) after the official launch so that I could use the car as if it was my own, and really get to know the car, read the manual, try out all the toys. :D

Unfortunately someone at Lexus Reading did not check the appointment book and gave the car I was going to have to someone else :angry: I will be making a fresh booking in due course.

At this price, if it's your own money, an extended test drive is essential. If a make or dealer can't arrange that, go some where else.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links