Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My 1st Is200

Willowwood

Bought a 53 plate IS200 2 weeks ago and am experiencing a poor 1st to 2nd gear change. I am also dissapointed with the acceleration performance, having just spent my lifes savings I was expecting it be a bit faster than my old 1.4 Rover 25 but I was wrong.

Having read some of the other comments about the gear change issues it seems I am not alone, but as it is still under warranty am I as well to go back to Lexus or will they just say it is the norm.

Any advise most welcome.

Welcome to LOC

First thing is the gear change. The IS box is famous for a slight "click" on changing gear, you feel it through the stick more than hear it. Nothing to worry about.

On performance, the engine is "flat as a pancake" below 4.5k revs, you need to keep the revs between there and the red line to make it go. The 6 speed box allows you to do that for "spirited" driving.

Give that a try and the Rover will be long gone in the rear view :D

It really depends on how sympathetic and willing to help your dealer is.

My local dealer everything they could to rectify the problem, i.e replacing the 2nd gear synchro and putting in redline oil.

As you've just bought yours, I'm sure they'll be willing to help :blush:

The advice I've had to give to some Altezza owners is "do not fear the red-line". The 3S-GE generates its big power at the top end, I'm not entirely certain about the 1G-FE, but from the comments here it sounds like it's the same in this respect. I was surprised to find people that never revved their Altezzas, needless to say they're typically well impressed with the new-found power when they do. :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links