Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Windscreen Is250

I picked up a bad stone chip on my windscreen a few days ago, so I booked it into RAC autowindscreens to get a replacement screen.

I was a bit wary, as it was a new model of car.

The car went in today at 11am (they had to to it at their depot as it was so cold) and I picked it up at 4pm, but there was a problem.

When they look to windscreen surronds of the car, the clips snapped which means they cannot put them back on. They said, it may have been because it was so cold (never got above 0 all day) or it may just happen when you take them off.

They have ordered a new set from Lexus and they will arrive on the 6th (Hopefully). I can still drive the car, but it looks terrible without the windscreen trims.

So if you need to get a new windscreen for your IS250, it may be worthwhile advising whoever is doing it, to make sure they have a set of windscreen trims before they start.

Hope this info is useful to someone.

its obvious where the side trims go, I assume there is one where the screen meets the roof

Think I'd be happier with them doing it in their depot as they would just rush the job out in ******* weather, plus the adhesive should set better

damn - didnt know those trims could snap. Where was the screen chip (me wonders if its better to watch these guys patch it..as their last patching on the IS200 wasnt so smooth. it flaked after a few weeks

The chip (about size of 5p which started to spread in a star shape, each crack about 2cm long) was on the passenger side in the top corner. They were not able to repair it as it was to big.

Also just noticed that they have let some adhesive spill onto the passenger side pillar and I can't get it off. Anyone know how to get this off, or will I have to wait until it goes back to RAC.

Real Bad News - is the replacement Lexus or Pilkington?

I had a replacement on my IS300 and some adhesive was left on the drivers pillar. The fitter ordered a new trim (with air bag) and came to me to fit once they had received it. I would definately ask for a replacement (they won't be able to remove the adhesive without splitting the covering).

I had a replacement on my IS300 and some adhesive was left on the drivers pillar.  The fitter ordered a new trim (with air bag) and came to me to fit once they had received it.  I would definately ask for a replacement (they won't be able to remove the adhesive without splitting the covering).

The replacement glass is Lexus glass, which I was quite surprised with as the last time I had new windscreen on IS200, it was Pilkinton. I suppose because its so new, Pilkington haven't made one for the IS250 yet.

The adhesive is not on the inside, its on the outside of the pillar on the paintwork. Is this easy to get off?

I've bonded side skirts on with that stuff so could be tricky :unsure: and that was the old stuff in the corking gun tubes rather than the new UV cured goo.

Mind you is it the primer or the goo on tha paintwork?

I wouldn't mess with it until the fitter has seen it

I've bonded side skirts on with that stuff so could be tricky :unsure:  and that was the old stuff in the corking gun tubes rather than the new UV cured goo.

Mind you is it the primer or the goo on tha paintwork?

I wouldn't mess with it until the fitter has seen it

Dunno if its primer or goo, but its black, if that helps.

i will wait till it goes back to RAC for the windscreen trims, and I'll ask them

I had a replacement on my IS300 and some adhesive was left on the drivers pillar.  The fitter ordered a new trim (with air bag) and came to me to fit once they had received it.  I would definately ask for a replacement (they won't be able to remove the adhesive without splitting the covering).

The replacement glass is Lexus glass, which I was quite surprised with as the last time I had new windscreen on IS200, it was Pilkinton. I suppose because its so new, Pilkington haven't made one for the IS250 yet.

The adhesive is not on the inside, its on the outside of the pillar on the paintwork. Is this easy to get off?

I have a mate who works for RAC who has ordered original Lexus glass for my car. You are completly within your rights to have Original glass fitted although they don't tell you this, you may have to wait for it as they won't carry it in stock. As he said if you buy a 22K car you want the best parts fitted to it.

I have a mate who works for RAC who has ordered original Lexus glass for my car. You are completly within your rights to have Original glass fitted although they don't tell you this, you may have to wait for it as they won't carry it in stock. As he said if you buy a 22K car you want the best parts fitted to it.

Thanks hammers, that useful to know for the future

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links