Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Timing Belt & Water Pump

kensigreen

Hi

My water pump is ouzzing coolant from every joint :crying: and will be getting it replaced shortly.

Toyota have quoted £325 approx for changing the pump.

Should they lob on a timming belt while they are there, for just the price of the belt (£20 approx)?

I presume like some garages they may scatch their chin and want to charge a few more hours labour. But from what I have read on here there may not be much more time involved in putting the belt on while changing the water pump. Anyone know?

Also being a bit dumb I'm not sure how urgently I need to get it done. Currently the pump is showing signs of coolant leaking out of the joints (pink crusty stuff), and the coolant level is slowly reducing over a few months (still above the "Low" marker), could I just get some coolant, top up and keep going (saving many sqids) or am I risking some sort of catastrophic engine meltdown while bombing down a motorway one day?

Many Thanks

Hi,

If your flush with cash then id get it done sooner rather than later,but by the sounds of it its not leaking that bad at present you could hang on for a while and put some money aside if Xmas has been a dear one :unsure:

Myself id get the Timing belt changed at the the same time and save on extra labour at a later date and its peace of mind if youve not had the belt changed since youve owned the car.

The bearings are what normally wear on the water pumps in general with any water pump,if its not sounding noisey its in early stages of wear.

Good luck.

Cheers chips.

Hi,

If your flush with cash then id get it done sooner rather than later,but by the sounds of it its not leaking that bad at present you could hang on for a while and put some money aside if Xmas has been a dear one :unsure:

Myself id get the Timing belt changed at the the same time and save on extra labour at a later date and its peace of mind if youve not had the belt changed since youve owned the car.

The bearings are what normally wear on the water pumps in general with any water pump,if its not sounding noisey its in early stages of wear.

Good luck.

Cheers chips.

HI ALL, if the bearings sound noisey on the water pump, what kind of noise can or will be heard then? as at the mo my car, has a funny sound like somethings needs greaseing if that makes sense....

ta for any help

i have heard of people getting the seals replaced on the pump instead of the whole pump - i assume it is leaking on the top of the pump where the metal pipe comes out?

As for the timing belt the service schedule states 100,000 but most get it done at about 90,000

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links