Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Noise From Front Right Wheel At Start

Whenever I turn the engine on and start moving forward, well within a couple of meters (a complete turn of the wheel?) I can hear a sound like a spring being released ( :blush: ): it's like something engaging (or disengaging!).

Noise comes clearly from the right/front of the car, possibly from the wheel.

This happens every time, only once.

Since the car runs smooth as silk ( :) ), it does not worry me at all, but I was wondering if anyone has an explanation for that.

(Car is a mark 1)

Thanks a lot!

no, only when I start moving after turning the engine on. After that, if I stop (i.e. at a traffic light or whatever), there's no sound.

Also, I hear nothing when I start the engine and move backward first. Then, going into drive, I'll get the weird sound within a few feet.

Whenever I turn the engine on and start moving forward, well within a couple of meters (a complete turn of the wheel?) I can hear a sound like a spring being released ( :blush: ): it's like something engaging (or disengaging!).

Noise comes clearly from the right/front of the car, possibly from the wheel.

This happens every time, only once.

Since the car runs smooth as silk ( :) ), it does not worry me at all, but I was wondering if anyone has an explanation for that.

(Car is a mark 1)

Thanks a lot!

Hi

I have exactly the same noise occuring in a similar manner. I am currently going through the process of trying to record the noise to establish the source. I like you thought it was from the front off-side wheel but recording in this area has not produced the clunk noise. I am currently working my way 'through' the car recording as I go. The main dealer does not seem to be helping much with the problem. I'll let you know what I find and it would help if you did the same.

regards,

Chris

Thanks, Chris!

By the way, I've come out with a wild theory: could it be related to the inertial guidance part of the sat/nav system?

I've the one with dvd and touch screen.

Is your baby equipped with sat/nav?

I know it's a long shot, but that might explain why the clunk happens only once, at the beginning of a "trip".

If you don't have sat/nav, then we can focus on something else, e.g. gremlins :blush: !

Sure enough the main electronic unit is in the boot.

But (correct me if I'm wrong), the whole system relies also on an inertial tracking system, which works along with the satellite signal detector, providing a log of the movements of the car.

My hypothesis is that when you start moving (forward) at the beginning of the trip, something "engages" on the front right wheel and starts keeping a record of the moves of the car.

As I said, it's a long shot and I'm really guessing.

Probably it's just a silly idea: my knowledge of the car is nowhere near yours, Colin! :blush:

I've got the exact same thing happening on my IS200 at the moment. Clunk noise from the front right wheel area when the car first moves after being stationary for a while. Doesn't happen if the car has only been parked up for say an hour.

Like Colin says...it will have nothing to do with your SatNav (I don't have SatNav anyway)...but I'm buggered if I can figure out what it is!!

I'm pretty sure my manual (2001) says nothing about it.

I would be very grateful if you could quote yours: maybe the topic was added on the mark II manual.

Anyway, as yu said, it's not really a problem: to me, it's just curiosity.

Thanks in advance, Salemb.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links