Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Upgrades.

liquidlazer

No realiablilty issues with the s/c.

fair enough. eventually, i hope, i wanna get round to some power mods.....but didn't wanna end up with problem after problem. obviously, the s/c is the most 'popular' serious power enhancement; but there's that age old question of whether u just put ya money towards a 300!? lets not get started on this topic coz its been covered extensively.....but the reliability was the one thing that i was interested about.

how does the fuel economy compare to standard???

In theory if you drive a the car as you did before the mod fuel economy should increase. Not always the case tho, coz after its done you just wanna take it the limit all the time. first 2 tanks after I had it done, it went down to 17mpg, now i'm used to it and don't need to rag it so much I can get about 26-28mpg.

might sound dumb, but why would the fuel economy increase....i thought it's be awful!!

Took me a while to understand this too, Neimad was telling me how it would work. Something about geting into a higher gear quicker, cutting down consumption.

All I know is that the supercharger now has no affect on my fuel economy.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're worried about fuel economy, adding more power won't help you!

Nitrous will also reduce your fuel economy as you are injecting more fuel to burn, the nitrous just promotes the burning. On the other hand though, nitrous is only used at full throttle when you actually want the extra power. Rest of the time you just drive with your standard engine.

Small amounts of nitrous can have big benefits on forced induction cars by further cooling the inlet charge.

If there's any questions I can help with, let me know. I'm an agent for the Wizards of Nos.

If you're worried about fuel economy, adding more power won't help you!

Nitrous will also reduce your fuel economy as you are injecting more fuel to burn, the nitrous just promotes the burning. On the other hand though, nitrous is only used at full throttle when you actually want the extra power. Rest of the time you just drive with your standard engine.

Small amounts of nitrous can have big benefits on forced induction cars by further cooling the inlet charge.

If there's any questions I can help with, let me know. I'm an agent for the Wizards of Nos.

thanks for your post fella.

i was seriously giving a nitrous kit some thought and spoke with a supplier regarding an install etc etc.

price was reasonable however, the insurance company disagreed :crybaby:

im only 21 and insurance is a lot of wonga.....lets just say 50bhp increase from stock is gonna cost me almost 4K in insurance :o :tsktsk: :o :crybaby:

You'll need to ring around some and make sure you tell the company it's a Wizards Of Nos kit by Highpower UK. Most insurers do not like the American based stuff because of the reputation.

Adrian Flux insure nitrous, but even then you have to make sure you're talking to the right person.

I can't imagine it will be any cheaper on insurance with an extra 50hp using a supercharger, mind you, they'll probably want to put up your premium if you've changed the exhaust to gain 5hp! Rob dog gits. :angry:

You'll need to ring around some and make sure you tell the company it's a Wizards Of Nos kit by Highpower UK. Most insurers do not like the American based stuff because of the reputation.

Adrian Flux insure nitrous, but even then you have to make sure you're talking to the right person.

I can't imagine it will be any cheaper on insurance with an extra 50hp using a supercharger, mind you, they'll probably want to put up your premium if you've changed the exhaust to gain 5hp! Rob dog gits. :angry:

yeah, it was adrian flux i spoke to. i told them it was a wizards kit and that was the price they quoted me. insurance premiums are adjusted based on percentage power increase, so a 50 bhp gain from a s/c warrants the same premium adjustment as 50 bhp nos jets!!

guess my age kinda restricts me to things like this!!

its not as if its a mod that could be disguised either....i.e not as if its not gonna be picked up from a general car walk around :blush::crybaby:

Anything that brings your car above the factory stock output will hike up your insurance to silly amounts. Even if its 20bhp over they wont look at it favourably.

yep i know that :blush:

to be honest, they're robbing so and so's because they look at it as being the PERCENTAGE increase, not outright bhp!! if your car normally runs at 100bhp and you add a 50 bhp power gain, you get hammered with a 50% power increase compared to someone who runs 200bhp as standard and has the same 50bhp mod, who gets a 25% power increase!!! is that fair????..................NOPE!!!!

guess i'll have to look into smaller less 'noticable' power upgrades, if i'm gonna have any at all.

what d'ya think....induction, exhaust?? or is it just not worth it? :crybaby:

I am 26 and i get hammered quite bad on insurance. 5yrs NCB too!!

Best thing is to buy a car with high BHP output form the start and i bet the insurance will not be as high in comparrison to modding a cars engine.

Ask your insurance company how much it will increase if you add what you mentioned. Weigh it up then mate.

Frankly, no. Might sound nice, but you'll be lucky to get 5-10hp and you'll need to spend some money on a decent system for that plus you still have to inform the insurance.

Have you tried:

Liverpool Victoria

Greenlight

Graham Sykes?

Some of my customers have used them too.

i'll give them a try mate.

as for having to notify them.....well, that swhy i was after subtle mods :blush: :o

i did get a good quote off elephant.co.uk yesterday....but they won't support any major mods like nitrous or s/c. a good quote all the same though

might sound dumb, but why would the fuel economy increase....i thought it's be awful!!

Took me a while to understand this too, Neimad was telling me how it would work. Something about geting into a higher gear quicker, cutting down consumption.

All I know is that the supercharger now has no affect on my fuel economy.

... Only just caught this :)

It works because the charger is shoving more air into your engine lower down the rev range, so although the extra air requires extra fuel, you shouldn't need to hang on to the gear for anywhere near as long due to the improved torque output. Daily driving can be done inside 3.5k RPM whilst still making good progress, meaning less fuel would be expended than if you'd have changed up at 5-6k RPM.

Superchargers are also generally less efficient further up the rev range too -- unless you opt for a bigger charger, which negates the low-down boost you'd normally get, and which on a car like the IS is far more useful since that's where its own torque curve is lacking.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links