Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance - Imports & Moification

Hi All

I've been searching the forums for car insurance tips and found some very helpful info. I get a sense that Bell Direct, Tesco and Livingstone get good votes, although some of the threads were dated 2002, so this may have changed.

Can anyone reccomend an insurer that will be able to help an ex-pat who is returning to the UK? I have 0 years no claims bonus and am bringing a Harrier Hybrid back from Japan under the 'personal import' rule.

Generally speaking, what do "modifications" mean in insurance terms. If I've had the car prepped for the UK SVA (fuel hose restrictor, MPH speedo) would this be considered a modification? What if I changed the emblems to Lexus (sorry!)? Do I get a quote for a Lexus RX400h or a Toyota Harrier Hybrid?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

p.s. For those interested, insurance in Japan is very simple - you pay based on the car and your age. Nothing else is taken into account and the rates are very low (my quote is approx. 400 pounds for 3 years). There's no insurance fraud or inflated claims here, so maybe that's a lesson for the rest of us. Crime really doesn't pay in the long run!!

Tokyolight, this year I used Confused.com, I know they get some bad press in some of the threads on here but they got me insurance from the AA for £635 (AA website quoted£1200??) for my SC430 (35Y.O. 9 years no claims and clean licence) not sure how they go on imports or mods, but you can do everything online with them so for the sake of 5 minutes online you should be able to get most of the details you need. Last year my insurance was £480 for a standard RX300SE with Esure but they wouldn't cover the SC. Enjoyed the story about the salesman, been to Japan a few times and they do seem to have their moments.

I've used Pace Ward Financial in the past - very good for imports, high power and mods.

SVA conversion stuff doesn't count as mods - it's probably worth mentioning if you swap badges, but Id be very surprised if they care.

Ian

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links