Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bluetooth

SteveThomas

I have just taken delivery of a new SC430 to replace my three year old one which didn't have Bluetooth connectivity. On hand over at the dealers they spent 2 hours and managed to download one of my cell phone numbers. Three days later they sent their Bluetooth 'expert' out to see me. He manged to download about half of my numbers after another two hours. They then gave me the Lexus Bluetooth helpline number. The techies there don't understand it either. They tell me the system will only take two numbers for each name - but I've already got some names in with three or four numbers - so no faith in their ability or knowledge of the system either. Also the number of who is calling doesn't come up on the screen and in addition you can only access 18 numbers while you are driving unless you access them through your cell phone, so can anyone tell me what is the use of downloading any numbers at all? This system has been in one or other of the Lexus range for about 18 months now with apparently no one knowing how it works. Can anyone help please? Apart from that little rant, the car is brilliant - a massive improvement on it's predecessor. The manual override 6 speed box is a joy.

I have just taken delivery of a new SC430 to replace my three year old one which didn't have Bluetooth connectivity. On hand over at the dealers they spent 2 hours and managed to download one of my cell phone numbers. Three days later they sent their Bluetooth 'expert' out to see me. He manged to download about half of my numbers after another two hours. They then gave me the Lexus Bluetooth helpline number. The techies there don't understand it either. They tell me the system will only take two numbers for each name - but I've already got some names in with three or four numbers - so no faith in their ability or knowledge of the system either. Also the number of who is calling doesn't come up on the screen and in addition you can only access 18 numbers while you are driving unless you access them through your cell phone, so can anyone tell me what is the use of downloading any numbers at all? This system has been in one or other of the Lexus range for about 18 months now with apparently no one knowing how it works. Can anyone help please? Apart from that little rant, the car is brilliant - a massive improvement on it's predecessor. The manual override 6 speed box is a joy.

The Bluetooth system in the Lexus is not the best - and it has many "things which can be improved on", e.g. the transfer of phone numbers, which for example in a BMW is automatic.

Any way, I cannot help you with the problem of downloading numbers to your car - other than suggesting that you do them one at a time and store them as separate names (maybe by putting extra spaces at the end of each name.

Now with regards to the number not coming up when the car is moving. This is true. However, if you have the name stored with the number, then the name will come up when the car is moving (thus the reason why you should transfer numbers over to the car). Please note, however, if you transfer the number over as +44.... the name will not come up. You have to store the number as 020...

Yes, you can only dial 18 numbers (well, 17 actually as one of the 18 is a Last Dialled Number). Again, unlike the BMW where you have a keypad and can dial numbers even when moving - and can access the phone book.

Anyway, heres to hoping that Lexus come up with some upgrades to the Bluetooth system to make it more like the BMWs...

Regards

The Bluetooth system in the Lexus is not the best - and it has many "things which can be improved on", e.g. the transfer of phone numbers, which for example in a BMW is automatic.

Any way, I cannot help you with the problem of downloading numbers to your car - other than suggesting that you do them one at a time and store them as separate names (maybe by putting extra spaces at the end of each name.

Now with regards to the number not coming up when the car is moving. This is true. However, if you have the name stored with the number, then the name will come up when the car is moving (thus the reason why you should transfer numbers over to the car). Please note, however, if you transfer the number over as +44.... the name will not come up. You have to store the number as 020...

Yes, you can only dial 18 numbers (well, 17 actually as one of the 18 is a Last Dialled Number). Again, unlike the BMW where you have a keypad and can dial numbers even when moving - and can access the phone book.

Anyway, heres to hoping that Lexus come up with some upgrades to the Bluetooth system to make it more like the BMWs...

Regards

What a problem that is! All my numbers download to my phone from my outlook files on my computer and because I spend half of my life abroad, they are all stored with the 44. As the system doesn't allow you to edit the details once they are downloaded, it means getting my hands on a diferent phone, download all the numbers to it, edit them all and then download them one by one to the sytem. That would also mean if I did that, that I wouldn't be able to utilise the system properly whilsy driving in Europe. What complete rubbish! Obviously designed by someone who has never used a cell phone on the move.

Thanks for the info. I'll contact Lexus head office to see if upgrades are soon to be available. I won't hold my breath!

• 2 weeks later...

The download depends on your phone. Some phones 1 number at a time, others will take the whole book. The blue tooth implementation is not the best ! Found with my Sony K750i had to switch its blue tooth mode to power save (connects only to one device at a time) otherwise the phone book would not upload and would drop the connection after 10 minutes and refuse to reconnect unless the car was restarted.

I have a Nokia 6310i and this works a lot better. However the voice quality with the mic in the roof is not good (just try listening to your voice mail message recorded over the Bluetooth link !

The download depends on your phone. Some phones 1 number at a time, others will take the whole book. The blue tooth implementation is not the best ! Found with my Sony K750i had to switch its blue tooth mode to power save (connects only to one device at a time) otherwise the phone book would not upload and would drop the connection after 10 minutes and refuse to reconnect unless the car was restarted.

I have a Nokia 6310i and this works a lot better. However the voice quality with the mic in the roof is not good (just try listening to your voice mail message recorded over the bluetooth link !

How can such a respected manufacturer get the Bluetooth implementation do wrong? Nearly everything else they do seems well thought out, but this!!! I also have a 6310i and the best way to work it appears to be to access numbers through the phone, press send on the phone, and then the system in the car takes over, but there is no dialling tone and I only know that the line is connected when someone answers.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links