Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

My 1996 GS300 Sport has a leaky radiator. It was recored about four years back but is now in "full spray" mode again. Car is approaching 100,000 miles and this is the only thing ever to go wrong.

I've bought a new one from AZMotors on eBay and am trying to decide whether to fit it myself or consign the job to my local (non-Lexus) garage. Has anybody done one of these or does anybody know how easy it is?

I'd describe myself as an "average home mechanic" with a decent toolkit. Any tips gratefully received!

Hi,

My 1996 GS300 Sport has a leaky radiator. It was recored about four years back but is now in "full spray" mode again. Car is approaching 100,000 miles and this is the only thing ever to go wrong.

I've bought a new one from AZMotors on eBay and am trying to decide whether to fit it myself or consign the job to my local (non-Lexus) garage. Has anybody done one of these or does anybody know how easy it is?

I'd describe myself as an "average home mechanic" with a decent toolkit. Any tips gratefully received!

Its an easy enough job to take the radiator out.

Drop the coolant. Theres a tap underneath the bottom of the car on the right hand side as you face the engine at the bottom of the radiator (get at least 7.5l of toyota forlife coolant)

Remove the hoses from the top and bottom of the radiator (large top and bottom feeds, one from the radiator cap and there is eiter one or two smaller ones at the bottom)

Undo the bolts that hold the rigid piping along the top of the radiator and remove the rigid pipe

Disconnect the electrical connectors to the cooling fans and radiator

Undo the bolts to the fan cowling (you may have to take the viscous fan off to remove the cowling but its only 4 nuts) and take it out

Undo the clamps on the top of the radiator and remove

Pull out rad (there will be some resistance as it sinks into the foam at the bottom so gently ease it up)

Fitting is the reverse of removal.

To be fair i had to do some thing a little differently but that was mainly the removal of pipes due to clamp orientation and i would suggest that you get some gloves as behind the rad is usually full of all kinds of rubbish and you'll want to clear it out.

Have fun it doesn't take that long

Austin

Austin,

Thanks for the really helpful reply. I'll make a start tonight. I love tinkering with cars but the GS300 rarely needs anything doing to it. Be a good warm-up for getting my Jag XJS nice though :)

Austin,

Thanks for the really helpful reply. I'll make a start tonight. I love tinkering with cars but the GS300 rarely needs anything doing to it. Be a good warm-up for getting my Jag XJS nice though :)

oh by the way the system is self bleeding i spent an hour looking for the bleed screw at the highest point before i had to ask :blush: so just pour the coolant in run and top up

oh by the way the system is self bleeding i spent an hour looking for the bleed screw at the highest point before i had to ask :blush: so just pour the coolant in run and top up

Thanks, hadn't thought of that.

I thought it may be an idea to give it a flushing out and renew the coolant if it's dirty. Is there anything special I should be putting in there or just a mix of water and antifreeze?

EDIT : Oops - just noticed the mention of the Toyota Forlife product. I'll use that or similar.

Hi rdwarr,

How did you get on with the Radiator?

I know its said above that there self bleeding,but it would be wise to turn the temperature up to hot on the heater and run the engine up to its normal running temp,that way there will be less chance of any air locks in the heater system :)

chips..

• 2 weeks later...
Hi rdwarr,

How did you get on with the Radiator?

Well, it's all OK now :)

Probably took about four hours on and off over the weekend. The worst bits were the spring clips on the hoses which took ages to get off and the transmission fluid leaking everywhere, especially as I hadn't tightened a nut on properly. Plus the cost of the coolant.

Best bits was the self-bleeding, the cost of the radiator and the fact that I actually managed to finish the job; first time I've worked on the car in six years!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links