Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dvd System Faults

Hi

Bought my 400h Se-L in March.

Found that the remote control wouldnt operate the in car DVD player, only the screens. Took it back to the dealer who took the car for a day, as they said the seats need to come out for access, and then told me they needed to order a part.

Car went back in, they fitted the part and the remote worked. However, when I tried attaching a second DVD player to the AUX wiring sockets, on one screen no video signal was received, on the other the picture from the in car DVD and the external player were "mixed". Audio was fine. Took it back. They booked car back in. They took it for the day, came back NOT fixed. Not happy. Took it back, when they had an aftermarket guy on premises. He tried to tell me its not going to work - you cannot have two players running at once. I smelt BS. Suggested we try my ext DVD player on a brand new SE-L they had in the showroom. Damn it! It was the same as mine! Left dejected, but determined.

During my conversation with the aftermarket guy, he told me that all these players are fitted at Portbury on importation to the UK. Probably by some cackhanded pillocks I thought. He then told me how it all works - there is a control box for each screen controlling video, audio is split through the player to the LEDs.

Went home. Raised both seats and stuck my hand up the back of each seat and found a black box velcroed under there. Carefully lifted the box down and compared the two. Guess what? The idiots had reversed the leads, so the ext DVD was feeding into the wrong input [same as the in car player]. Unplugged and put them right ..... FIXED IT!!! Was jolly happy, rang the dealer and told him to fix the one in the showroom!

Now, apart from boasting about my technical prowess, there is a point to this - Lexus are supplying badly fitted kit [judging by the fact that mine and the showroom one are both wrong]. So watch it!

Bladgb :winky:

• 3 weeks later...

When I took delivery of my RX Sept 05, the RH screen didn't work at all and the remote has never really worked that well. Not very impressed with the DVD solution in the SEL - would have at least expected a decent bit of kit...

Great car, shame about the finishing touches - savnav/phone switching off while moving, poor DVD player installation, stoneage Bluetooth...

Loop

• 2 weeks later...

When I got my RX300sel (Dec 2004), I chose not to have the standard Lexus fit DVD and got an extremely competent local ICE dealer to fit a much better alternative. I'm pleased to say that my 6 DVD changer that's hidden in the boot (under the panel where the jack etc. fits) is indeed a far better alternative. The kids can't kick it under the front seat, there's no ugly black tubing between the seat and headrest (the cables go up the headrest supports) and I have larger screens to boot! Plus I can add a Playstation if I like as well.

The best bit is that it cost LESS that the standard Lexus stuff!

I know that my Lexus dealer was impressed and that they have sent other cars there for the same fitment since then!

Sometimes it pays to shop around! :D

When I got my RX300sel (Dec 2004), I chose not to have the standard Lexus fit DVD and got an extremely competent local ICE dealer to fit a much better alternative. I'm pleased to say that my 6 DVD changer that's hidden in the boot (under the panel where the jack etc. fits) is indeed a far better alternative. The kids can't kick it under the front seat, there's no ugly black tubing between the seat and headrest (the cables go up the headrest supports) and I have larger screens to boot! Plus I can add a Playstation if I like as well.

The best bit is that it cost LESS that the standard Lexus stuff!

I know that my Lexus dealer was impressed and that they have sent other cars there for the same fitment since then!

Sometimes it pays to shop around! :D

Any chance you can PM me with details of who fitted your system.

Thanks

• 3 years later...

Hi Bladgb

As you seem to have had a little play with these things, would you happen to know how to remove the DVD player under the drivers seat ? I think it may need an internal clean after 6 years of use. I have only had a quick look so may need to get upside down on my back.

Rgds

Paul

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links