Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi peeps

Any special tools required to fit Front brake pads to 2001 RX300?

Thanks

SL01 xx

Update 280406 - Purchased front brake pads but they do not look at all like the ones that are on there! far too square. Anyone know whether the new ones will fit? (Can't seem to get the old ones off yet!) - Any advice from someone who has done this job will be gratefully received.

Thanks

SL01 xx

Front pads now changed - first set didn't fit and had to be swapped for set that would fit. Happily, the set that fitted were £10 cheaper!!!!! But.................................. How to stop the squeaking sound? Handbook says that squeak occurs when pads are low and should be changed (what's wrong with a light on the dash???????) - but they are still squeaking with the new pads fitted.

Pls help!!!!!!!!!!

SL01 xx

• 1 month later...

There is no assured way of stopping the squeaks because it depends on how they started - normally you need to bed them in for a few hundred miles (ie don't stamp hard on the stop peddle if you can avoid it). If you get them too hot when they are still fresh it can result in squeaks. Take the pads off and try these two things; I've put some warnings in Capitals so please don't be offended as they are quite important!

1) Put a piece of fine sandpaper flat onto a bench, put the pad flat onto the paper and gently rub the braking material to remove only the top layer of the breaking surface - DO NOT MAKE THE PAD UNEVEN it will impair performance and could damage your callipers. Brake dust isn't good for you so take precautions.

2) put a thin layer of Copper-Slip on the BACK of the pad before you refit it - DO NOT PUT ANY ON THE BREAKING SURFACE. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN HERE - IF IN DOUBT DON'T DO IT as it could result in your breaks not working so test your car somewhere safe before you go onto the road.

Failing that, it is usually the precise dimensions and design (ie material density etc compared to the original Lexus part) of the replacement pad that is causing it and there's little you can do except try a different make :-(

Cheers,

Loopy

If they are cheap replacement pads then they will squeak!

I ordered pads from USA and there was a delay in shipping because they thought they had them in stock when I paid for them. They had to re-order.

In the meantime I had cheap pads fitted 'cos my others were near to the bone.

No way would they stop squeking!!! Drove me nuts for 12 days.

New pads came and they have been fine.

Cheap pads have crappy material in there make up hence the squeak!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links