Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance big jump in premiums.

Following a reduction in my premiums this time last year what a shock for this year.

I know premiums have gone up but had my renewal notice while away and they have increased by around 40% ☹️.. had a look at comparison site and the only ones coming out nearer to what I am paying up to now are all ones with excess amounts of over £850 compared to the £250 I currently have.

Are others finding big increases this year?

Maybe it is that I retired during the last year?

• Sad 1

Sadly, no it's not because you retired. Other RX owners are reporting the same. There has been a recent spike in RX thefts, especially in and around London, but not limited to there alone. CAN-Bus thefts, relay attacks and OBD key cloning have all been reported.

• Like 1

When this CANBUS issue was raised I did a quick punt around the comparison sites for my RX and it looks like I will be paying about 100% more this year. A friend with a Range Rover is in a similar position.

If you accept a high excess to get the premium down, you can separately insure this. This sometimes works out cheaper than going for a policy with lowish excess.

• Like 2

I have done and it was cheaper than reducing the excess on my insurance when I had a GSF. Search Google for  "Car insurance excess protection UK" You'll have to filter out all the companies offering car hire excess protection.

ALA , Aegeas and Questor are 3 names that come to mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VFR said:

So you can insure your excess (?)

What a strange world we live in but useful to know, do you do this yourself ?

Not really a strange world - all you have to do is to accept that all insurance companies, utility companies and so on are out to bleed us until we squeak!

When I first started driving in 1975 a "fully comprehensive" policy was just that; everything you needed in one easy-to-arrange package. Now, if you want X you have to pay for it; "You want Y sir? That will be an extra [sticks finger in mouth then holds it up to see wind direction] £85 sir"

I don't want to meet the Grim Reaper for a while yet, but let's just say that I'm glad I'm on the last bus to his place because this world is going to Hades in a handbasket on all fronts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I renewed my insurance only last month and my insurers tried to increase my premium by close to 50% - despite no changes at all in circumstances. A few phone calls later and I managed to chop that down to size to a rise of 12%, which is still annoying considering in recent years my premium has been steadily dropping.

Just about everywhere I looked, premiums are up by around 11/12% where I am...

8 hours ago, Herbie said:

Not really a strange world - all you have to do is to accept that all insurance companies, utility companies and so on are out to bleed us until we squeak!

When I first started driving in 1975 a "fully comprehensive" policy was just that; everything you needed in one easy-to-arrange package. Now, if you want X you have to pay for it; "You want Y sir? That will be an extra [sticks finger in mouth then holds it up to see wind direction] £85 sir"

I don't want to meet the Grim Reaper for a while yet, but let's just say that I'm glad I'm on the last bus to his place because this world is going to Hades in a handbasket on all fronts.

All you have to do ……….

Tell me about it as I knew they where just out to make us pay.

Right now I am not happy that a Lexus car that I bought can be taken by some thieving shyster in minuets and “at present” there is nothing that Lexus can do to help (bye & large)

Regardless of “where” I live, of what “precautions” I take “most” insurance companies it seems will load “my” premium to cover those areas where the bulk of thefts are taking place. 

Shysters plain & simple (IMO)

My insurance was £380 a year fully comp with a £100 excess.  

Same insurance coverage and i'm now looking at £480.  

Add on a little more miles and (6k - 10k) they want £800??? I laughed when i was told that quote.  

Had a look online with comparison websites and i found 2 companies willing to cover the 10k miles (Looks like i average 8k a year but with holidays i need the extra just incase) and there's a 1star review company offering cover for £300 that i've never heard of and Sterling Insurance offering for £400 but no breakdown cover which is fine as the only cover i need is drop me and the car off at my driveway. If i can't fix it at the side of the road i doubt the AA will do unless they can fit a clutch on the hard shoulder then i don't need it.  

What's worse is that my "lip kit" is now broken up in to 3 parts which raises the insurance even more and Greenflag?(Some insurance company with green in the name) required photo's and saw my daughter had placed a sticker in her window and they deemed that a modification and asked me to either remove it or pay extra for the insurance...

13 hours ago, flookyk said:

Following a reduction in my premiums this time last year what a shock for this year.

I know premiums have gone up but had my renewal notice while away and they have increased by around 40% ☹️.. had a look at comparison site and the only ones coming out nearer to what I am paying up to now are all ones with excess amounts of over £850 compared to the £250 I currently have.

Are others finding big increases this year?

Maybe it is that I retired during the last year?

My premium in London on my RX has gone up almost 100 percent.  Lexus Motor insurance would not even quote me on it (which the person I spoke to said was probably because of the CANbus thefts). Imagine my response when Lexus branded insurance would not even quote to insure a Lexus....

Lets see if these new protective wheel arch plates start to reduce thefts and bring our premiums down in a year or so.... Fingers crossed Lexus rolls them out quickly.

Paul

It's not easy to understand the ins and outs of the motor insurance business, but it would have been logical to predict that, as a result of Covid, when vehicles were used less and accidents and payouts were presumably fewer, that premiums would temporarily have gone down or at least stabilised.  That we are seeing the opposite seems to mean that insurers have not seen fit to pass some of their higher profits on to their customers.  Or could it be that we are now seeing a delayed higher rebound in premiums after two years of Covid-related stability?   The only certainty is that we are not going to get clear explanations from insurance companies and their representatives.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Herbie said:

This is why RX premiums have jumped up!

This is the first time a Lexus car has been on the 'stolen/recovered' list but to enter at No.6 is very worrying!

I bet that is the only time Range/Land Rover ever figured so much in a motoring top ten,given their reliability record.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I did read that Range Rover owners in London literally cannot get their cars insured full stop.
Ghost immobiliser, fuel cut switch, or a really big angry crocodile left in the car seem to be the only solutions to make theft tricky, but those won’t help with the insurance - a Cat 5 Thatcham insurance approved tracker seemed to be the only option with my LC.

• Haha 1

I have a cat 7 approved tracker professionally fitted and certified which is accepted by all the Insurance companies that I have spoken to. I only get about £45 reduction for it so it is not worth paying £170 pa for it. I have not renewed the subs this year. My premiums also went up 16% this year despite more no claims bonus added. The companies blamed cost of repairs and medical claims.  BUT have you noticed the increase in bad driving. Why do some people like to drive 2 feet from my back bumper when I am doing the max speed limit 30, 40 whatever. Also why is it usually a range rover with a tiny person ( I will not say what gender or anything non-correct ) behind the wheel?

Insurance companies are a necessary evil and do not treat us fairly. I pity anyone who has to try and get "justice" or make a claim from these "people".

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 6:26 PM, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you wish.

Regards,

Dan.

I have tried to request a quote from yourselves online a couple of days ago .. have not received anything by email (my preferred correspondence method) but have received 2 phone calls from a number I don't recognise that I don't answer.

• Like 1

I paid £391 last year with Aviva. Now £770. Some were £950 + Done the comparison sites online, got down to £552 with Hastings. What gives me the hump is there is no tailoring to your needs.  I don’t want European, key, and legal cover etc. Is it my age 71?   Taking into consideration (which they don’t). 4k per year, 14yrs + NCD, 2  IAM driving tests, car and HGVI , Lexus link, dashcam and locked garage.  If only Lexus could solve this theft problem. How dare we own a Lexus. 

23 minutes ago, cdmaskell said:

Is it my age 71?

My nextdoor neighbour is 92 and the cheapest we could find for his little runaround was £1,500 because of his age.

No accidents, full NCB etc., etc., still got all his marbles, plays two rounds of golf every week and bowling too. Nothing against him except his age.

• Sad 1

I have 2 cars:

A 2015 Toyota Auris Hybrid. Last year £368. This year with 4 years NCD. Best I could do was £507.48. Original renewal was £544. Went on comparison site and only slightly cheaper, and company I had never heard of.

1996 Volvo 940. Last year. £248. This year £291. 10 years NCD.

Both insured for business use. 8,000 and 5,000 miles. No endorsements or accidents.

Certainly has gone up.

Having read this I was fearing the worst for my renewal. I have a multi car policy with Footman James for the RX daily plus 1980 Datsun (with agreed value) and 1992 LS400 as classics, no limit on the mileage for any of them, Class 1 business use on the RX and Datsun (for some reason they won't extend it to the LS, which is SDP + commuting). I think it's with Ageas.

Anyway, I think mine went down by £10!

I seem to remember that it also went down for my wife's 2010 Auris, when her Tesco renewal came through earlier in the year.

Odd.

My IS 300h insurance went up 37% this year with Tesco Insurance for absolutely the same cover - nothing has changed. Tried comparison sites and could not get tt any cheaper than the renewal amount. My wife's Toyota Yaris insurance also with Tesco Insurance and renewing on the same date did not go up at all (again no changes whatsoever) and again I couldn't get it lower on the comparison sites. 

My opinion is that the recent increase in thefts of Lexus cars has caused the significant increase in insurance for Lexus cars compared to my wife's Toyota Yaris as there is no other explanation that I can deduce. 

59 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

True - but then so was my wife and hers didn't change 

it's simply ageism and sexism 😉

Malc

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links