Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mk1 Gs Front Seats

I have tried many leather cleaning and conditioning products on my front seats but they still feel like cardboard, the rears are fine.

I noticed today that the stitching on the drivers seat base is splitting.

I hear people rave on here about sadler's soap etc but desperately need to know what I can apply to soften the leather and avoid further problems with stitching.

I have tried many leather cleaning and conditioning products on my front seats but they still feel like cardboard, the rears are fine.

I hear people rave on here about sadler's soap etc but desperately need to know what I can apply to soften the leather and avoid further problems with stitching.

neatsfoot oil keith you can get it from shoe repairers. It doesn't smell great and can be oily for a short period but its the mutts for softening

neatsfoot oil keith you can get it from shoe repairers. It doesn't smell great and can be oily for a short period but its the mutts for softening

Thanks

I have ordered something similar from my local riding tack shop.

According to the guy in the shop it will renourish the leather in about 4 applications.

Guy said you sponge it on and it is quite thick until absorbed into the leather.

Cheers

I would recommend Gliptone liquid leather cleaner and conditioner. Don't use a combined cleaner/conditioner.

http://www.liquidleather.com/liquidl.htm

Colin

I have been using Gliptone all the time but just won't penetrate leather on front seats.

I think part of problem is sun damage cos leather is so dry and hard unlike the leather in my old Rover which is soft and supple.

I am assured the the product I bought from a horse riding tack shop will work on even the most neglected leather.

I'll let you know how I get on.

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend Gliptone liquid leather cleaner and conditioner. Don't use a combined cleaner/conditioner.

Colin

I have been using Gliptone all the time but just won't penetrate leather on front seats.

I think part of problem is sun damage cos leather is so dry and hard unlike the leather in my old Rover which is soft and supple.

I am assured the the product I bought from a horse riding tack shop will work on even the most neglected leather.

Well :D

Colin

Ok - Have been using a leather softner from Urad Leathercare and yes it seems to be working.

I have applied it weekly for the past 3-weeks and leather appears a little softer.

Stitching on the seats is not splitting any further.

I just need to find a car upholsterer to repair the splits in the stitching.

If any one is interested Urad's leathercare products can be found on www.uradleathercare.co.uk

Colin

Ok - Have been using a leather softner from Urad Leathercare and yes it seems to be working.

I have applied it weekly for the past 3-weeks and leather appears a little softer.

Stitching on the seats is not splitting any further.

I just need to find a car upholsterer to repair the splits in the stitching.

If any one is interested Urad's leathercare products can be found on www.uradleathercare.co.uk

I have a few jars....I use it to clean my shoes, tis great stuff :D

I have horses - so have always used saddle soap on my car seats - you can get a bar from any tack shop. The knack is to use a barely damp cloth -rub it on the saddle soap bar sparingly and then rub into an area of the leather. You can polish it up a bit after with a dry lint cloth. If you start to get a white foam you are using too much. It is cheap - and lasts forever and produces a very good result - just as on a saddle! We use neatsfoot oil for softening leather - particularly on riding boots - it waterproofs as well but I honestly wouldn't recommend it for car seats as it really is oily and when you sit in the seat the odds are you will get it all over your clothes and never get it out!

I have horses - so have always used saddle soap on my car seats - you can get a bar from any tack shop. The knack is to use a barely damp cloth -rub it on the saddle soap bar sparingly and then rub into an area of the leather. You can polish it up a bit after with a dry lint cloth. If you start to get a white foam you are using too much. It is cheap - and lasts forever and produces a very good result - just as on a saddle! We use neatsfoot oil for softening leather - particularly on riding boots - it waterproofs as well but I honestly wouldn't recommend it for car seats as it really is oily and when you sit in the seat the odds are you will get it all over your clothes and never get it out!

At last someone else on LOC from the Equine world :D

i use saddle soap on mine, must say you can tell the difference , exp on creme leather. but as for white foam, i must be usng too much on mine :) very good product

allthough on mine the seats are really grubby so end up using a old and i mean old sponge with brillo pad side on, and GENTLY use that , along with an old finger nail scrubber thing. one day ill actually finish cleaning all the car

Steve

At last someone else on LOC from the Equine world :D

Horses and Lexus don't seem to go together though - I don't know anyone with horses who dosen't have a great big 4 x4 - usually a very uncomfortable and smelly one! P.S. You can get saddle soap on eBay too!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links