Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help - Clunking Noise

Hello

I've had my mk1 GS300 Sport for 2 years now and I wouldn't consider swapping it for the world, I absolutely love it :o)

BUT, a couple of months ago it started to clunk very slightly when I went over pot holes or grates in the road, then over a further couple of weeks it got louder and louder until one day it got really bad so I pulled over to the side of the road and called the AA.

When they came the nice man jacked the car up at the front end and had a good look around everything, he said he couldn't see anything wrong but the ball joints COULD be slightly warn on the passenger side.

On the stregnth of his exam, I put my car into a very well reccomended garage, he came back and said that the front caliper was slightly sticking but that was all, he freed the caliper and fitted new pads (the disks were fine), he charged me for the pads (£18) and £15 for labour - nice man :o)

The prblem went away for a couple of days but then started to come back slowly until I was back to square one.

I went out in the car yesterday and after about 20 mins driving the gearstick began to shudder and the whole car seemed to behave as if it was going over a cobbled road.

I turned round, came home and now I am wondering what to do.

Anyone got any ideas please, the garages don't seem to know whet to look for, all they can suggest is that they start to change out various parts until the problem is cured starting with a caliper, ball joints, control arms etc etc, the list is long and VERY expensive.

Thanks

Kate

Kate,

Clunking when going over potholes sounds like worn suspension bushes, i.e. upper or lower control arms, or both. You are right, it is an expensive job to replace. However, what you need first of all is a honest and reliable mechanic to give you a true picture. Folks on here should be able to recommend someone local to you.

gven the age of the car, it is likely that the motor mounts are split (causing the engine to move), which could be a cause.

If it does turn out to be the control arms. then replacement bushes are available off the net in the usa, which works out far cheaper than changing the whole arm.

Ah, just remembered. It may even be as simple as the transmission mount. It't probably split causing the gearbox to sink by an inch or so. Those take around 15 minutes to replace, and are relatively cheap.

Good Luck!

Thanks so much for that, I feel a little better now.

I should have given the age of my car, sorry, it's a '96 (P).

I've just been out in the car and it's not done the same thing, it started fine and drove fine (still with the little metalic clunks of course) but it didn't start to wobble the gearbox until I'd done about 7 miles.

Is this wierd?

Kate

Hi Kate,

I had a similiar problem on my GS MKII which was extremely annoying. I checked the ball joints, shocks, springs and brakes by my mechanic. A friend of mine that had a MKI said I should change the anti-roll bar bushes as it was the cheapest option. The bushes were ordered from Lexus and my mechanic changed the anti-roll bar bushes on my front suspension and it has resolved my problem and car handles alot better.

The bushes cost £15 and £20 for the labour. I would try that first and see if it works.

Arif

I would say to take it to a MOT bay, and get the MOT tester to give it a once over, before starting to change parts.

Even if you have to pay for a full MOT, least you'll know what it is.

Maneesh---do you have link for the place in the US for the bushes??

I would say to take it to a MOT bay, and get the MOT tester to give it a once over, before starting to change parts.

Maneesh---do you have link for the place in the US for the bushes??

http://www.tmengineering.net/suspension/daizen/make/gs.html

Positive responses from the US members who have fitted them.

Hi Kate,

I had a similiar problem on my GS MKII which was extremely annoying. I checked the ball joints, shocks, springs and brakes by my mechanic. A friend of mine that had a MKI said I should change the anti-roll bar bushes as it was the cheapest option. The bushes were ordered from Lexus and my mechanic changed the anti-roll bar bushes on my front suspension and it has resolved my problem and car handles alot better.

The bushes cost £15 and £20 for the labour. I would try that first and see if it works.

Arif

Yes, that is a cheap way of trying to fix the problem. To be honest, pretty much every GS owner should be looking at doing this once the car is over 5 years anyway. The bushes are rubber, and rubber perishes over time...

Thanks so much for that, I feel a little better now.

I should have given the age of my car, sorry, it's a '96 (P).

I've just been out in the car and it's not done the same thing, it started fine and drove fine (still with the little metalic clunks of course) but it didn't start to wobble the gearbox until I'd done about 7 miles.

Is this wierd?

Kate

Kate,

It does weird. It also sounds like it's inter-related. The trouble with the GS Sport in particular, is that due to it's stiffer, lowered suspension it's harder on the bushes.

Try this Kate, when you have the car idling, do you feel the engine through the wheel, seat or gearknob?

Also sit in the car and rev it all the way round, and see how much if the engine moves (especially at a particular rpm).

Take it for a MOT to the council run places. Those guys are supposed to be a lot better than commercial MOT places, are likely to give you an accurate report. However, I still say that with these Lexus cars, the wear in the bushes/mounts can introduce clunking, but would still be not bad enough to fail a MOT.

Oooh Kate, you could try this test too. Go round each corner of the car and push hard on the corner. See whether the car bounces up and down a few times or not. Can indicate if shocks are gone.

• 3 months later...
Hello

I've had my mk1 GS300 Sport for 2 years now and I wouldn't consider swapping it for the world, I absolutely love it :o)

BUT, a couple of months ago it started to clunk very slightly when I went over pot holes or grates in the road, then over a further couple of weeks it got louder and louder until one day it got really bad so I pulled over to the side of the road and called the AA.

When they came the nice man jacked the car up at the front end and had a good look around everything, he said he couldn't see anything wrong but the ball joints COULD be slightly warn on the passenger side.

On the stregnth of his exam, I put my car into a very well reccomended garage, he came back and said that the front caliper was slightly sticking but that was all, he freed the caliper and fitted new pads (the disks were fine), he charged me for the pads (£18) and £15 for labour - nice man :o)

The prblem went away for a couple of days but then started to come back slowly until I was back to square one.

I went out in the car yesterday and after about 20 mins driving the gearstick began to shudder and the whole car seemed to behave as if it was going over a cobbled road.

I turned round, came home and now I am wondering what to do.

Anyone got any ideas please, the garages don't seem to know whet to look for, all they can suggest is that they start to change out various parts until the problem is cured starting with a caliper, ball joints, control arms etc etc, the list is long and VERY expensive.

Thanks

Kate

hi have u been able to slove ur problem cause im havin it in my car its gs300 Mreg its soo annoying

i had a similar problem on my mk1 when i first got it i also noticed that the gear lever was bouncing slightly when i heard noise and got the "jumping" from the front. With mine it turned out to be a sticking caliper on the drivers side.

I also get the clunk which i have been informed could be the sliding pins, i have just ordered some new ones so i should be able to tell you thursday if they cure it

Austin

i had a similar problem on my mk1 when i first got it i also noticed that the gear lever was bouncing slightly when i heard noise and got the "jumping" from the front. With mine it turned out to be a sticking caliper on the drivers side.

I also get the clunk which i have been informed could be the sliding pins, i have just ordered some new ones so i should be able to tell you thursday if they cure it

Austin

so if its a sticking caliper , what do they do , do they chnage the caliper or they just change the brake pads.

any idea and yeah was it an expensive job

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links