Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Wheel Shaking Problem

Hi

i have an is200 and about an inch of steering wheel shake at 55-60mph then that stops and the gear stick does the same 60 - 65, but i guess thats to do with resonance frequencies... anyway I reckon this is a wheel balancing problem as it happens when im not breaking. I've only had the car a few days, but it looks to have recently had new tyres. is it more likely to be coming from the front wheels out of balance or could it equally be the back?

Is there any one you guys recommend in my area to look at this for me?

i live in Loughborough, and often drive to Lincoln down the A46.

Eddie

The frequency generated by incorrect balance is as described by yourself... i suggest all four wheels are tested with the original weights on to establish how incorrect each wheel is... then have them corrected.

I wrote a thread on this topic and the best method for correction some two years ago.... Eddieo if you can find the post it could help :winky:

I think the title was 'wheel balance and why it goes wrong'...... think?

Took my car in to the garage... it needed it. All four wheels where out of balance and some had no weights at all, tracking was out by 3, +2 instead of -1, and 2 tyres on diagonal corners were under inflated.

After having it all sorted out there is now not a vibration to be found at any speed :)

Ive only had the car a few days and found it so annoying, its a wonder how the previous owner lived with it and never got it sorted. Just shows how important it is to maintain your wheels properly.

im hoping its not been driven like that for too long and there isnt any damage to steering of suspension as a result.

Hi

i have an is200 and about an inch of steering wheel shake at 55-60mph then that stops and the gear stick does the same 60 - 65, but i guess thats to do with resonance frequencies... anyway I reckon this is a wheel balancing problem as it happens when im not breaking. I've only had the car a few days, but it looks to have recently had new tyres. is it more likely to be coming from the front wheels out of balance or could it equally be the back?

Eddie

The frequency generated by incorrect balance is as described by yourself... i suggest all four wheels are tested with the original weights on to establish how incorrect each wheel is... then have them corrected.

I wrote a thread on this topic and the best method for correction some two years ago.... Eddieo if you can find the post it could help :winky:

After having it all sorted out there is now not a vibration to be found at any speed :)

Ive only had the car a few days and found it so annoying, its a wonder how the previous owner lived with it and never got it sorted.

:lol: He sold it to you after a back street garage told him the suspension was shot :lol::lol:

Hi

Eddie

I had the same problem about 6 months ago after I just bought the car and had all 4 wheels replaced (corroding).

Went to Kwick Fit and asked them to check ballancing, they reballanced front wheels only. this made no differance so I insisted they checked rears, after reballancing these it was perfect.

• 1 year later...

Now I have problem.

My steering wheel now shaking when I'm braking. First was shaking only when I was braking at 60-70 mph, but now shaking also at 40 mph.

I went to Kwik Fit today (one in Pontefract and one in Castleford - don't go to Pontefract - they never have time for me, at Cas they are more helpful)

They did a re-balance for all wheels and ... it help maybe in 10 %. Still shaking. So i think I will go somewhere when they doing MOT and I will ask them for check.

When we taking about BRAKE DISC are they good ??

eBay Item number: 350050865929

eBay Item number: 360046274159

I know 3G from ProlexUK are better, what about chepper ones ?

When we talking about BRAKE DISC are they good ??

Or maybe Mintex eBay Item number: 260233383545

Or maybe just a standard cheap eBay Item number: 220226231541, eBay Item number: 280219470153

Any advice ?

Hi

Eddie

Thorntons in Syston. Always take my car there for tyres, very good and never had a problem. Should be only about 10 mile from you.

• 2 weeks later...
When we talking about BRAKE DISC are they good ??

Or maybe Mintex eBay Item number: 260233383545

Or maybe just a standard cheap eBay Item number: 220226231541, eBay Item number: 280219470153

Any advice ?

Be carefull, my personal findings after fitting mintex breaks front pads and discs and rear pads was that after the first few miles they squeak (not down to break dust) but maybe caused by the anti squeal shims not being fitted properly or at all. Think this is due to slightly thicker pads than standard so there wasnt enough room. That aside my main problem was disc warping, now i dont know if this is just the way i drove once they had been fitted (i can be quite hard on the breaks) or if they are just poor quality. But once i had new lexus discs fitted again i drove in the same way and havent had a squeak of vibration out of them since and have probably done 10,000 miles on them now.

I've got the RS-10 from G3 and mintex pads, been roughly about 400 miles and no problem or sqeeking as yet. Only difference i noticed apart from the better bite towards the end of the brake push is that you get that brake sound that automatics have..that sound (not sqeek) but the "crunch" type noise when you creep with the brakes..but im not bothered about that at all, infact it probably means the bite on the pads are very good. I have yet to change the rears.

brakes001.jpg

Just finished coloring in my calipers, not applied decals yet and will put a layer of lacquer over the top...think i must have put like 4 layers of paint on as its been the 4th day and they are still wet LOL

btw..theres a 8pot brake caliper and disc on eBay...that looks evil...seat belt won't help you fly towards the windscreen with that baby.

4e55_1.jpg

Item number: 130220633034

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links