Sign in to follow this  
jimglasgow

Is220d Headlight Cluster

I have notice on my front headlight cluser at the side there is an orange section which maybe able to be switch on (Like on the 5 series BMW) its probably for the american market. Does anyone know how to do this

I've been wondering about this as well as I would like to remove it, looks naff as it doesn't do anything.

It's do-able, if you've got the skill (and the bottle! :blink: )

You need to remove the headlight cluster, and heat it in a medium warm oven at 5 min intervals until the silicone glue that fixes the lens to the cluster goes soft. You can then peel away the lens and get to remove the orange part.

While you're at it you may as well spray the inside of the clusters a nice metallic black or similar to get the full effect.

To put them back together use a clear silicone sealant (like the stuff you seal the bath with).

its easy to do on the older is200/300 ive done an article somewhere on the method to use, but basically as Mike says heat them up in an oven

here it is

Dismantle headlights

Edited by Monster-Mat

Thanks Mr Morse, dont think i have got the bottle to do it. I ve just got the car so not that comfortable about sticking the lens in the oven, thought it would be a little easier???

The method using the hairdryer (in Mat's How To) leaves less room for error but takes longer. The most important part is getting a good surface when it comes to refit the lens.