Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Upgrading Wheels...

Kavey

Hey all

When upgrading your original Lexus wheels, what do you tend to do with the old ones? Do you keep em or try to sell em?

My original 17"ers are quite corroded as they were part of the early unlaquered set, so are in need of refurbing. I know this'll cost me about £300-£400. But I've seen quite a few cars in the gallery that have had some nice new rims put on. Just wondering what you do with the old ones, as I was thinking that that money could go better to new 18" wheels and tyres, especially if I can sell the old ones and get a bit more cash.

I don't have a garage unfortunately, and storing a set of 17" wheels in my flat ain't really a goer (tho the girlfriend might stick cushions on em and use em as mini stools) :P

Also, just curious, but do UK IS200's come with a proper alloy spare, or a space saver number like my Altezza?

Cheers!

In an ideal world, I guess most people would keep their opld set of alloys and put them on for the Winter months so not to ruin their new set (this is what I'm planning on doing). Hoever, every penny counts, so, as in the past with my Pug 306, I sold the old set and put the money from those towards my new alloys....

Hourses for courses mate....... :)

My original 17"ers are quite corroded as they were part of the early unlaquered set, so are in need of refurbing. I know this'll cost me about £300-£400.

no no no !!!

the best wheel refurbishers charge maximum £50 a wheel !!!

is that price through a main dealer?

I have had 2 sets of wheels (not lexus car) refurbed at Lepsons in Gillingham, Kent.......£45/wheel, and they came out PERFECT. HIGHLY recommend them.

Hope that makes your choice a bit easier !

Tony

In an ideal world, I guess most people would keep their opld set of Alloys and put them on for the Winter months so not to ruin their new set (this is what I'm planning on doing). Hoever, every penny counts, so, as in the past with my Pug 306, I sold the old set and put the money from those towards my new alloys....

Hourses for courses mate....... :)

Hey Zee

Good point about winter I spose, but it's a real drag getting em swapped out really isn't it?

Nice to see also that we have similar tastes - my previous car was a Pug 306 too. I loved the chassis and the really workable front wheel drive understeer going around slippery roundabouts ;) It was deffo a good fun little car to trot around in.

Not that I don't love the 'pop' of the back end on the Lex mind you :) I love the odd mini-slide when the roads are clear.

Tony - I think I've been quoted far too much to have the wheels refurbed then - do you know who did the wheels for Lepsons? I know of a couple of main companies that service dealers - Pristine Alloys and Spit and Polish - has anyone had any experience with either, or are they likely both just as good?

Cheers!

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well!

Lepsons are an actual alloy wheel refurbisher. They're not a car dealer or anything, solely an alloy refurbisher. I know many people who have had their wheels done there and I have never heard anything but 100% positive.

What I meant about dealers was ..... did the quote for £300-400 you get come from, for example, a lexus main dealer? You could expect them to charge alot more than "regular" prices because of the way they have to work.

At only £160-£180 for a set (obviously fully balanced and valved once again) it could make the alloys you're selling be worth £200 more......so it's beneficial to you!!!

Also guys, something worth considering, when you get wheels refurbished you can obviously change the colour. Anthracite wheels on SOME colours could look REALLY nice.

Oh, ps, unforuntately I dont know of anyone, or had any experience of, the two companies you mentioned.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links