Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Battery Charging Problem Gs300 Mk1

I would be very grateful for any advice with the following:

I was driving home in my 1995 Mk1 GS300 the other day when 4 of the idiot lights came on : charging, add engine oil, replace bulb and washer fluid lights. They went off again after a few minutes. This kept happening every 10 - 15 minutes or so. As all seemed OK I assumed(hoped!) that this was just a loose connection somewhere. As I neared home I realised that all the lighting was getting dimmer and the Battery was flattening. I eventually coasted to a halt with dead electrics.

The RAC man who trailered me home gave the Battery a quick charge and the car was driven on to the trailer. In the morning the car started fine - my local garage checked out the charging system - all was OK so he replaced the Battery which was 5 years old and checked/retightened all connections.He reckoned that it was probably just the Battery at fault.

Unfortunately, tonight the same warning lights have started flashing on and off :sad: - any ideas please?

thanks

Dave

PS Probably a complete coincidence but the morning before this all started I replaced a rear stop bulb that seems to keep blowing

I doubt it will be the stop light bulb problem. I kept getting blown bulbs but when I started using Phillips bulbs rather than cheepies from Halfords no problems since.

Next likely cause is Battery, may be overcharging causing drying out of cells or even shorting. But as you say Battery is new best to get alternator checked out. I would also check earthing points too.

PS Probably a complete coincidence but the morning before this all started I replaced a rear stop bulb that seems to keep blowing

Recently I had an Astra doing all sorts of odd things, turned out the owner had just replaced a tail light. He didn't do anything wrong and fitted the correct bulb, which just happened to be faulty but worked fine if you put it across a Battery.

For the sake of £1 change the bulb

K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid, is always a very good starting point and often the cheapest. Good luck.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links