Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Very Close To Buying A 400h

Hi All,

I am new to the forum...been lurking for a while. Always been a big fan of the Lexus brand ever since I got to drive an LS400 back way back in 1998. Obv things have moved on since then...more importantly my age and am now looking for a proper family car to replace an SLK55 AMG. Been through many many options through my mind and am pretty convinced that the RX400h is the right family car for me and my wife. Previously owned cars from VW, Audi, BMW, Honda and Merc but have found Lexus dealers to be the most welcoming so far.

I have been dealing with Lexus Edgware Rd and so far been impressed. Anyone dealt with them before. Info I have so far managed to glean from various dealerships:

1. Discount currently running at 5% on new SE with Nav or SE-L. Does that sound reasonable?

2. The 2007 model has a major upgrade to the Navigation system...having seen the difference visually it is pretty big. I was told that this could not be retro-fitted to an older RX400h...is that true? That is it is more than just a software upgrade.

3. Does anyone have interior pictures of their RX400 at night. I would really like to see what the interior looks like lit up at night and cannot find any pictures on the net to that effect.

4. The dealership has left me very confused about the Bluetooth options available. I was told that you can only use the Bluetooth option with a limited number of phones and you have to have the phone docked etc. Even my father in laws Jag S type has the ability to sync pretty much most phones via Bluetooth without docking stations etc. I have seen leather clad mobile holders near the gear levers on some cars...are they just holders or part of the Bluetooth set up?

5. Dealership told me today that you only really start seeing 30+mpg fuel economy after about 10k miles. Sounds ridiculous to me having read many posts on here...I take it they were talking rubbish.

6. Been quoted £400 + VAT for front and rear parking sensors and have been told they have got a grip with the continuous beeping issue I have read on the forum. Is that price reasonable?

7. What is the best rate on PCP deals that people have got from Lexus? My bank can source me a brand new car on a PCP rate of 7.8% APR. Anyone got better from Lexus recently?

Will be going back tomorrow so they can value the AMG for part ex price...obv will sell privately if they don't give me a good deal.

Apologies for the long post and questions.

Rahul

Welcome !

Here are my views....

--------

Haven't dealt with them but Guildford, Bracknel, Croydon and Brostol were excellent, so I would expect Edgeware to be the same.

1. Discount currently running at 5% on new SE with Nav or SE-L. Does that sound reasonable?

Sounds reasonable but Drivethedeal can get you a bigger discount. Alternatively buy WHATCAR? magazine and take it with you. They should at least match the WHATCAR? target price. If they don't, WHATCAR? will direct you to a Lexus Dealer who will ! And Edgeware will know that.

2. The 2007 model has a major upgrade to the Navigation system...having seen the difference visually it is pretty big. I was told that this could not be retro-fitted to an older RX400h...is that true? That is it is more than just a software upgrade.

This is very true. The new system can play DVDs and MP3 as well.

3. Does anyone have interior pictures of their RX400 at night. I would really like to see what the interior looks like lit up at night and cannot find any pictures on the net to that effect.

I have not but others will....

4. The dealership has left me very confused about the Bluetooth options available. I was told that you can only use the Bluetooth option with a limited number of phones and you have to have the phone docked etc. Even my father in laws Jag S type has the ability to sync pretty much most phones via Bluetooth without docking stations etc. I have seen leather clad mobile holders near the gear levers on some cars...are they just holders or part of the Bluetooth set up?

You can connect a variety of phones but it seems to work better with particular makes. Nokia is particularly good. You do not need to have it docked. The phone works perfectly well from a closed brief case on the back seat ! Mine is a Nokia

5. Dealership told me today that you only really start seeing 30+mpg fuel economy after about 10k miles. Sounds ridiculous to me having read many posts on here...I take it they were talking rubbish.

28mpg was the real world experience on my 2005 RX400h over 20k miles. Current 2006 car has done 2k miles and has averaged 28.4 - might improve in the spring. 30+ mpg is possible in city driving.

6. Been quoted £400 + VAT for front and rear parking sensors and have been told they have got a grip with the continuous beeping issue I have read on the forum. Is that price reasonable?

Better than I was quoted for rear ones only ! Might be why the discount is only 5% though !

7. What is the best rate on PCP deals that people have got from Lexus? My bank can source me a brand new car on a PCP rate of 7.8% APR. Anyone got better from Lexus recently?

Only ever used use HP - on which The AA will beat any Lexus APR. Remember to include the admin charges and final charges when you compare quotes

Will be going back tomorrow so they can value the AMG for part ex price...obv will sell privately if they don't give me a good deal.

I used a print out from Glass' guide (http://www.glass.co.uk/uk/en/index.php) only about £3, and the dealer matched it. This being the end of the month you might get a good deal if they are short of meeting their targets. The start of the month is not a good time to talk big discounts.

Apologies for the long post and questions.

Good Luck

Jaroph

Thanks for the tips...I have a Nokia E61 and good to know that Nokia's are better with the Bluetooth option.

Will defo take a print of Glasses and see what they say.

nokia E60 is reportet to work fine. make shure that your E61 is also supporting transfer of all contacts at once via Bluetooth (the E60 does so i think the E61 will be the same)

the "Bluetooth complementary kit" your dealer is probably talking about is a lexus accesorie/addon with cradle, external antenna, and charge function. the cradle is not available for many handsets.

but this is definetly not needed. the standard system normaly works fine.

Bluetooth hands free is also enhanced in the 2007 model. it offers now voice dialing.

Went back to Edgware Rd today. Terrible service. I left two messages and sent one e-mail for/to the salesman this morning asking him when it would be best to bring my car in for a part ex valuation and get a drive of a demonstrator. No reply. So on our way into London we thought would stop in so someone could value the car...1 hr later no one seemed to be interested except for the friendly receptionist who kept offering us drinks and apologies.

The finance manager was not around again today so I received nothing back from him as promised regarding best quotes. I can understand the car is popular and sells itself, but I would have thought that one of the other 3 salesman could have helped us out.

When someone did finally turn up to value the car we were told to wait near our car and nobody turned up for 10 minutes.

Lexus Edgeware Rd will defo not have my business. Will give Lexus Park Lane a call and see if they are interested in making an easy sale.

Went back to Edgware Rd today. Terrible service. I left two messages and sent one e-mail for/to the salesman this morning asking him when it would be best to bring my car in for a part ex valuation and get a drive of a demonstrator. No reply. So on our way into London we thought would stop in so someone could value the car...1 hr later no one seemed to be interested except for the friendly receptionist who kept offering us drinks and apologies.

The finance manager was not around again today so I received nothing back from him as promised regarding best quotes. I can understand the car is popular and sells itself, but I would have thought that one of the other 3 salesman could have helped us out.

When someone did finally turn up to value the car we were told to wait near our car and nobody turned up for 10 minutes.

Lexus Edgeware Rd will defo not have my business. Will give Lexus Park Lane a call and see if they are interested in making an easy sale.

I hope this doesn't put you off too much - Lexus cars are fantastic!

And the service I've received from my dealer (Leicester) has been awesome.

Keep the faith!!

Defo not given up on the car. The more I think about it the more I feel the RX400h is the right choice. Will be meeting someone at Lexus Twickenham next week.

I have sent you a personal message on the subject.

Lexus Edgeware called back and apologised for the lack of service last week. The salesman has offered to come to my house to value the Mercedes. His apology seemed genuine and I have taken him up on his offer. Looks like they might just pull it back.

One thing for sure is that most other car dealerships would not have bothered to apologise and make amends. Credit where credit is due.

Lexus Edgeware called back and apologised for the lack of service last week. The salesman has offered to come to my house to value the Mercedes. His apology seemed genuine and I have taken him up on his offer. Looks like they might just pull it back.

One thing for sure is that most other car dealerships would not have bothered to apologise and make amends. Credit where credit is due.

Hi Rahul

New member here also, having picked up my new 400h on Monday. Still only done 50miles as I've been stuck in the office, so desperate for the weeekend to come around.

Received a great service from Lex Hatfield and the sales guy Sy is a gent.

Had the car December registered so managed a 10% discount on SE plus Nav. Did my initial cost research with Autobid who gave me a good price via Lex Nottingham, however I used this price to get a better deal from Hatfield.They also provided the most competitive PCP quote and beat other quotes received just to keep it in house.

I steered clear of inhouse GAP insurance and went with Car-Finance.net, half the price of Lex standard for the same cover.

Aside from the financing the car is fantastic.....just got to read the instruction manual now, are we supposed to do that?

May see you around Watford in your new 400h soon, I am just in Chipperfield?

Thanks for the advice.

10% seems like a pretty good discount for a new RX400. I know you said it was pre-registered...but still very good.

If you look at some of the ex demos advertised your only talking a discount of maybe £3k-4k off a list price of £43.5k for a SE with Nav.

If I got 10% off a new RX400 SE with Nav pre-registered or not I would be very happy indeed.

Will take a look at Autobid.

Hi Rahul

New member here also, having picked up my new 400h on Monday. Still only done 50miles as I've been stuck in the office, so desperate for the weeekend to come around.

Had the car December registered so managed a 10% discount on SE plus Nav. Did my initial cost research with Autobid who gave me a good price via Lex Nottingham, however I used this price to get a better deal from Hatfield.They also provided the most competitive PCP quote and beat other quotes received just to keep it in house.

I steered clear of inhouse GAP insurance and went with Car-Finance.net, half the price of Lex standard for the same cover.

Aside from the financing the car is fantastic.....just got to read the instruction manual now, are we supposed to do that?

Off topic but how many keys did you get with your 400h? I just wondered because I had 3 with my previous car but only two were handed over with the 2007 model !

Thanks

Hi Rahul

Off topic but how many keys did you get with your 400h? I just wondered because I had 3 with my previous car but only two were handed over with the 2007 model !

Thanks

I received 3 keys when collecting the new car

Cheers

Can't help on that one,sorry.

2007 Nav canoot be fitted to a non 2007 model as far as I know.

sorry

I have a Sony-Ericsson which works perfectly and does not need to be plugged in to work hands free.As long as it is in the car it works,even in my jacket in the boot!

Short journeys from cold do not bring the best out of this car for economy(do they in any car?),as the engine spends some time heating things up.

In mixed use I am currnetly getting 30mpg when being careful.Long journeys down the motorway,sticking to 70-75mph give me 32-33 mpg.

My record for a 150 mile round trip,A roads and motorways has been 36.8 mpg.Having said that I never bought this care for fuel economy.

If you let your right foot have fun,then obviously mpg will suffer.

I manage perfectly well with the rear view camera,but I must admit I initially missed rear sensors after moving from my previous car.

I would probably find front parking sensors more useful,but I don't know how practical they are.

Don't know,sorry.

In summary,I have had the RX400h for about 16 months,my first Lexus.and I am still completely delighted with it.So much so that I am not even thinking of getting a new car yet,and when I do I think it's likely to be another (new generation?) RX hybrid.It is comfortable,luxurious,practical for the family,great on driving holidays,and don't forget you can get out of paying the London congestion charge.

Good luck with your choice.

Took the plunge and ordered a car from Lexus Twickenham. They have been excellent throughout and even gave us a 2007 model SE-L for 24 hrs. Got a very good discount on the car..unforunately the waiting list for Astral Black with Black interior on a SE with Multimedia is 7 weeks.

Without driving for economy I managed 28mpg...which is good enough. When driving for economy I got close to 30mpg. We change one of our cars almost yearly,but I think this one will be with us for a long time.

My Nokia E61 pairs up to the phone system without problems.

Now I just have to stomach seeing my AMG get handed over to the dealer tomorrow.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links