Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

GS300 audio wiring

OK, I give up. It's not in the boot. It's not behind the back seats. It's not under the front seats. Where on earth is the amp in the GS300?

Also, how is the system wired? The tweeters are 2 ohms and I don't see any passive crossover components. Are we dealing with series wiring here? The sub sounds like it is rolled off actively. What's the setup?

I'll be starting a cost-effective upgrade of the whole speaker system shortly and would be happy to post photos on the site sometime in the summer. I have the advantage of digital measuring gear and a number of years in the speaker (not car speaker) business. Which means I'll be specifying real components from the right sources and will not be paying through the nose for iffy brand names.

Stephen

i would think the system is basically the same as is fitted in the IS Models so,

the system will be an active system,basicaly everything is controlled by the AMP,even the audio controls are if the amp is removed you will no longer be able to use the head unit.....bizzare i know.........so this is where the frequency splitter(crossover) is also located...................................and where is this you ask......i would think behind the dash,the best place to look first is the back of the glove box,after that .......i will find out

to recap,if you want to upgrade only the speakers of this system it would be better to get LLC(line level converters) plugged into the original speaker wires these signals then would be good enough to power an amp(if you use the wires dirrectly to the amp you will fry it

otherwise its better to rip the whole lot out and start afresh

mat:saint:

Thanks for the tips, Mat.

I have now found the amp. It *is* in the boot - under the CD player.

It looks to me at first sight that changing the stock speakers would result in a considerable improvement. The tweeter and bass-mid look really cheap and nasty and the 10 inch woofer doesn't go low enough. I'm just looking for a smoother, more detailed sound. Amplifier power seems perfectly adequate for my tastes; I'm not looking to blow the doors off.

Does anyone know what the specs of the amp are, particularly with regard to the electronic crossover section? Would the service manual have this kind of information?

Stevie

I got a very nice reply from Percy over at the American site. It seems that the amp has a built-in active crossover between the bass channel and the mid-woofers. The tweeter has a single capacitor to roll it off.

For anyone who was wondering.

Stevie

• 4 weeks later...

I am in the US. I am going crazy trying to find out what is the wiring of my ES300. I would assume that it is similar to the GS. It seems so. Does anyone know how I can get in contact with PERCY??? an email addess or sumthing? He seems to have helped a lot and I need all I can get. I need the wiring color codes for the premium audio system. I can see from the responses that the front tweeters have a capacitor rolling off the bass but are the mid-woofers grounded to the car and what are the wires comming from the amp? I just want to keep the factory radio and install another amp to to speakers so I just need to find the speaker wires for front and back. my email is nce2tuch@quixnet.net.....PLEASE HELP??

Go to your Lexus dealer and ask him to copy the relevant pages out of the manual for you. If you have a fax, just call him up and aks him to fax them to you. That's what I did for my GS. I can't see any capacitor in the diagram, though.

Stevie

• 1 year later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links