Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlights-halo's+painting

Noel

Well I gotta be honest after putting headlights in test ovens for about 5 years I really don't think 215° for 15mins is wise at all. The melt temp of polyprop is about 120° and plastic headlamps typically come up to temp in 20-25 mins, I must have tested hundreds of lamps over the years, and melted more than a few, so unless he is saying have the oven off then turn it on so it warms over the 15mins, which I also wouldn't recommend with out checking it regularly like evry minute or so be very careful.

My method which I used for years on all sorts of headlamps was to heat the oven up to about 100-110°c then turn it off and put the lamp in, leave it for 5-10 mins, and check it. if it is just too hot to touch that is the point you remove the lens. If not put it back in for a couple of minutes as the oven cools down. If you need to much force to remove you need more heat. I wouldn't recommend a heat gun either as you can add too much heat locally. But as with all these things it very much depends on how much care you take :)

I mean yes he can remove the lens really easily, but given the inconsistency with oven types and temperature controllers, and where the heating elements are I think his method is too risky.

Tho one thing he is correct about is put the lamp in the centre of the oven.

I also don't think that the bezel really needs any prep prior to priming. I would just degrease it to remove fingerprints and dust then prime. The metalisation is mincrons thick and the surface has a plasma preparation in the vacuum metalising tank so i think blasting with sand or rubbing with sandpaper will actually make the painted finish worse than just degreasing and priming.

What i did like is the fact he wore gloves, essential imo, and the resealing method. If you heat the lamp using my method, but clamp the lens on with mole grips you shouldn't need to worry about fogging as you will have a good reseal.

I am seriously tempted to have front and rear cold cathode lighting tho. wow

Well I gotta be honest after putting headlights in test ovens for about 5 years I really don't think 215° for 15mins is wise at all. The melt temp of polyprop is about 120° and plastic headlamps typically come up to temp in 20-25 mins, I must have tested hundreds of lamps over the years, and melted more than a few, so unless he is saying have the oven off then turn it on so it warms over the 15mins, which I also wouldn't recommend with out checking it regularly like evry minute or so be very careful.

he is talking FAHRENHEIT as he is in the USA! 215F is about 110C.

I split 3 sets of headlights apart 2 days ago and i can tell you everything is ok and there is no damage to the lights. I suspect this method is far easier than using a heat gun as the heating is universal - the lights come apart very easily also, butthey dont come apart as easily in the video - you still need a screwdriver- putty knife to make the initial break and to lift the tabs ap a bit.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links