Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bad News - Wife Looses 400h Key

RX comes with 3 keys from the factory, 2 normal, and one which will not open the glove box lock, to give to valet parking etc.

So we still have 2 keys - which is great, but not impressed with cost of replacement.

Wife already feeling suitably humble - don't worry

consider yourself lucky you drive a lexus

Lost car keys 'cost motorists £98 million'

Motorists are being forced to spend as much as £326 on replacement car keys because of increasingly sophisticated alarm systems, according to a new survey.

A poll of 2,000 drivers found 16 per cent had lost their keys at least once while as many as one in ten did not own a spare set.

The report by Britannia Rescue estimated the total replacement bill for those who do not keep a spare set of keys would be £98m.

It usually costs about £200 to design, make and programme a new key but those used in some new cars cost significantly more, the survey found, as it is no longer a case of cutting a piece of metal to shape.

Advanced alarm and immobiliser systems mean Ford Focus owners face paying up to £266 for replacement keys, while Nissan Micra owners would have to spend as much as £326 to get back behind the wheel.

Martin Milliner, of Britannia Rescue, said: "Accessing vehicles built since 1998 is generally more time-consuming and expensive for drivers due to the introduction of increasingly sophisticated alarms, immobilisers, and shielded locks.

"The cost of getting back behind the wheel could really rocket if work is needed on the ignition or security system as well, but one clear way of avoiding this issue is to look after your spare key and keep it in a sensible place."

£150

Yippee

One might assume that I'm just a little annoyed at this wonder of pricing policy.

Expected more to be honest

My son lost his keys to a Clio twice in a week before he got replacement on the first one

1 Key Cost £375.00 inc key-reprogramme

Spare Key @ £115.00

Now That's a rip off !

Mmmm, well this one has been an eye opener.

Seems whilst lexus price is still very high for a key with a small circuit board in it, they actually fair quite well in the market place.

What a game this is, I spoke to the manager at my dealership, he reckons they make 15% on parts, so the majority of the cost is coming from Lexus themselves - he also agreed the price was very high.

You pays your money etc etc

One last thing on this, the dealer said that they could make me another key without needing to 'copy' one of the others.

So if you loose all the keys it does not matter.

They also said, when you come to part ex it, just give us the 2 keys, not 3, they weren't bothered - nice!

So, as we still have 2 keys, I'll just leave it for now.

Time to phone Peugeot now, as my wife had the other key to the other car also on the ring - fantastic.

What a rip off this lot is ...... if they can make a computer motherboard for fifty quid, what

can possibly be in the key to justify these prices.........? Robbing b :tsktsk:

Agreed.

Now, as I need a Peugeot key as well for the wife's car, I phoned Peugeot, the parts man quoted £150 (sounds familiar) and 10 days delivery!!!

He then recommended Neil, a local guy who does keys, even programmable ones

Spoke to Neil, he wants £100 plus VAT - now we are getting somewhere, will meet him next week get Peugeot sorted, and have a chat to see if he can also do Lex, but I'm thinking not.

Interestingly with the Peugeot you get a credit card thing in your service book that has a four digit immobiliser code written on it that allows people like Neil to blow a new remote key! The things you learn!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links