Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie Questions Pinned?

Hello all.

Registered yesterday & my first post here, just started researching Lexus as our next 'second car' & am very pleased to have found this site - it's all very friendly, supportive & knowledgeable. I don't want to repeat all the stock 'newbie' questions you've seen before, so are they pinned anywhere? I've had a good read through, but they mostly are about:

- How good is an early/cheap LS400?

- What UK mpg to expect? (Looks like 15mpg in town & 30mpg on the motorway)

- Honest John mentions the exhaust as an expensive replacement - is there a pattern part?

- 'Common faults to look for when viewing'

Mostly it seems quite straightforward, and you guys seem to love yours. The common minor problems seem to be minor around:

- CD player lights

- Instrument / dash lights

- alloys going bad

- Paint lacquer

- Cat replacement (saw a link to cheap spares)

- Cambelt replacement at 60K miles? the only real biggie?

- Worn suspension bushes

I've had a string of bigger cars (BMW 7, BMW X5, Audi Allroad etc), but we're having a bit of a cutback on expenses now so have sold our private X5 & taken a company Honda for the wife to bob about in (brand new, all-in, no need to think/worry). I often use my motorcycle for commuting, but would love a big LS400 luxo-barge for longer trips (we go London / York quite often) so am looking at the cheaper end of the scale around £2-£3,000 - there seem to be some real early 90's 'bargains' around, but I don't want to buy into a nightmare...

I'm an enthusiastic amateur & don't mind some hands-on work, with Father & Father-in-law much more handy - I think we'd have a punt at most things outside engine/gearbox. I'd rather buy a high miler that's lived on the motorway with lots of stamps than a retired Bank Manager car - if it has the history, is 100K miles too far?

Any and all comments & advice gratefully accepted!

hi

you have just about covered everything - Only thing i would say is try to go for either black or grey interior as with beige its very hard to keep clean and also every small mark on the leather/plastic/carpets shows up wheres black/grey tends to atleast camaflouge the small imperfection

I have only had mine a week - P Reg with 72K - FSH - £2500 - extras include sat nav fitted in the ashtray - parking sensors and telephone - that should give you and idea of what you should get for your money

Theres one on auto trader at the mo M reg - Silver with black leather - LPG conversion - 94K miles - was £3495 - now been reduced to £2995 - looks very clean and straight

regards

miq

Thanks Miq. Good call on the beige leather! We have an enthusiastic four-year old, did spend a lot of time cleaning up in the BM!

Nitmoi - will check, but as ever, I'm looking closer than 2 to 3 to begin with, there seem to be a few around & mercifully I'm not in a hurry.

Cheers.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links