Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Folks! I wonder if anyone can help on this one. These ccld mornings on first pulling away I find that the engine of my 1996 Mk1 GS will rev. ok but the car won't move at more than a snails pace. It only lasts for a very short time but never noticed it happening last year and it's caused a few problems just lately when pulling out into traffic! Everything's fine after about fifty yards. I've checked the oil level in the box and that seems up to the mark. The car's done 110 thousand. Very grateful for any advice - as long as it's not spend big bucks!!

Do you know !!!!!!

Been asking this question before.. and got no definite replies, other than "the transmission may be faulty" or "have you checked the fluid level" (no disrespect to those who answered)

And then here we are, with others that are having the same problem...

My 03 MKII is a bit longer than fifty yards though.. say about 3 - 5 minutes driving before it's up to normal..

I will be getting a full service done next year, by my usual mechanic... already bought a few bits, plugs, timing belt and tensioner..

I am going to get him to change the ATF and clean the filter (wherever that is) at the same time..

By the way, I got the belt and tensioner cheap £40 (ADL blueprint)

John

Hi Folks! I wonder if anyone can help on this one. These ccld mornings on first pulling away I find that the engine of my 1996 Mk1 GS will rev. ok but the car won't move at more than a snails pace. It only lasts for a very short time but never noticed it happening last year and it's caused a few problems just lately when pulling out into traffic! Everything's fine after about fifty yards. I've checked the oil level in the box and that seems up to the mark. The car's done 110 thousand. Very grateful for any advice - as long as it's not spend big bucks!!

Hi DEREK , remove the gear box sump and replace the filter.Thats all it needs## and some new oil.Merry XMAS ,TERRY

Must It be Toyota ATF or will any brand do from my local auto parts shop ?

Thanks.

I would like to know as well... Manual lists "Toyota ATF T-IV" and says 2.0 litres.... that surely can't be right...

looking on the interweb, it appears that using anything other that the recommended toyota fluid is bad news..

John

"Edit"

Just had a look in the workshop manual..

Dry Fill: 8.4 litres

Drain & Refill: 1.9 litres

ATF Type T-IV

Called my local Toyota dealer this afternoon, asking about the Toyota T-IV ATF.... "we use mobil"

"Oh, right" says I, thinking never take my car for servicing there !

"can you get me some" I said

"think so, i'll call you back"

10 minutes later, they called me.... " yes, we can get some, comes in a 4L can, but it's expensive.."

Expecting the worst, I asked how much... "£14.odd plus VAT.. £17.8x in total"

"are you sure that's T-IV" I asked, "yes, that's right"

needless to say, I ordered some, and then asked about my Daughters discount card... (she has a Yaris bought from there) " oh yes, bring it in, and you'll get 10% off the price...

So it's about £15 for me !!!!! Unless they got it wrong... read on here, its about £50 for the same stuff..

John

Had a rethink.... and decided to order 8L of it... might as well change as much as possible...

Which brings me to my next question...

If draining the "sump" gets about 2L out, how do you get the other 6L out..

I believe it may be something to do with removing the oil cooler hose and starting the engine, but want to be sure on this..

I know with the MX6 and 626, they use a "2 bucket method" one to suck up new fluid, one to catch the old..

John

Apparently, draining the gearbox sump only gets 2L out.. the rest in is the torque converter and passageways etc..

I was looking at cleaning the filter out rather than replacing it... as it's more of a strainer than a filter.. so should be able to be flushed out and re-used..

John

yes if you want to replace all the fluid you have to drain the pan and refill then disconnect the pipe going from the cooler to the gearbox, start the engine, allow 1l to drain out, stop engine, add 1l of fuild and repeat until the fluid coming out is nice and clean. Then check the fluid level with the engine running having put the gear selector slowly from P to L and back to P. Drive for 20 mins and then check the level again with the fluid hot.

Hi Derek, don,t worry about taking off the sump, it is simple. Don't disconnect any pipes,

remove sump and let the car stand for an hr or so and let the oil drain out

when you take off the filter more oil will come out and wait for that to stop ( make sure dust and dirt around - must be clean)

wash out your filter and stick a new gasket or O ring on

replace the sump and top up your oil with at least 3 or 4 ltrs

start the car

let it idle for 3 min( make sure handbrake is on)

select reverse and check your oil level

select park and top up if necessary

repeat process for all gears

once the level is correct road test the car changing the gears manually eg 1st 2nd 3rd to drive

drive for approx 20 min for oil to get to correct temperature

check level

total job 20 min to repair

1/2 and hr to drive :)

finally check for any leaks and your job is done

I hope this works for you

Terry

Hi Terry. Thanks for that (and thanks to all other posts) but it sounds a bit more than I can handle - using the road as my workshop as I do! Guess it's a job for the professionals - but will they do it properly like you suggest I ask myself? I strongly have my doubts!! Happy New Year all. Derek

I was passing the local Toyota dealer, so popped in to pay for the ATF, and get an oil filter and sump plug washer..

ATF: 4L £14.86 - 10% discount = £13.37 + vat =£15.71

I'm pretty sure, that should be per litre..

Oil filter £6.65 with my discount + vat

part number is different, but says it fits JZ series engines (+ a lot more)

Asked him about coolant.... so he said is it pink or red? I just said it's the long life stuff..

he said the pink stuff comes ready mixed, in 5L drums...and I would need 2 of them..

I didn't quite catch the price. cos I fell over.. £66.odd for ten litres..

Anybody know of a cheaper source for coolant.. the red stuff is about £40 odd.. and can be used safely.

John

Hi Terry. Thanks for that (and thanks to all other posts) but it sounds a bit more than I can handle - using the road as my workshop as I do! Guess it's a job for the professionals - but will they do it properly like you suggest I ask myself? I strongly have my doubts!! Happy New Year all. Derek
Don't worry, u need 4 stands, get the carup level,remove the sump,it all .in your face.The only parts u need are;a sump gasket,a filter gasket, and some oil,and thats not technical.TERRY B)

Don't worry, u need 4 stands, get the carup level,remove the sump,it all .in your face.The only parts u need are;a sump gasket,a filter gasket, and some oil,and thats not technical.TERRY B)

Didn't think there was a sump gasket.. just the sealant..

John

I was passing the local Toyota dealer, so popped in to pay for the ATF, and get an oil filter and sump plug washer..

ATF: 4L £14.86 - 10% discount = £13.37 + vat =£15.71

I'm pretty sure, that should be per litre..

Oil filter £6.65 with my discount + vat

part number is different, but says it fits JZ series engines (+ a lot more)

Asked him about coolant.... so he said is it pink or red? I just said it's the long life stuff..

he said the pink stuff comes ready mixed, in 5L drums...and I would need 2 of them..

I didn't quite catch the price. cos I fell over.. £66.odd for ten litres..

Anybody know of a cheaper source for coolant.. the red stuff is about £40 odd.. and can be used safely.

John

Red coolant can be used, although it should be changed every 20k miles. The pink stuff lasts much longer.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links