Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fitting Lowering Springs

Rob's Lexx

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

check my other thread matey. there's a coule of new goodies in there....

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...43836&st=60

bit weird, but just gone to the car and the front is much much lower, the rear drivers side is much lower, but the rear passenger side is sitting a fingers width higher than the drivers side. any ideas?? will this settle itself out in time??

bit weird, but just gone to the car and the front is much much lower, the rear drivers side is much lower, but the rear passenger side is sitting a fingers width higher than the drivers side. any ideas?? will this settle itself out in time??

Give it some time/miles, then put on flat road and he another look. Also have a look to see if your springs are seated right. You did put them on Front springs to front and rear to rear ?

Give it some time/miles, then put on flat road and he another look. Also have a look to see if your springs are seated right. You did put them on Front springs to front and rear to rear ?

Even i'm not that daft Mr Hutchinson! :lol: :lol:

Yeah, they're deffo on right. I think its just a case of them settling down.

cheers matey

If i read things correctly the coils are second hand.... If so then they have already "settled" before they were fitted so the body trim height should be uniform.

I'm not sure what procedure you used to install the coils but for what it's worth if the camber positions are changed then the car will sit off horizontal diagonally.

Also for what it's worth, Gords comments were absolutely correct if the coils were coil-overs.... I've seen this many times before.

Do you find the ride more comfortable than the standard springs or is the ride firmer?

The only reason I ask it because I want to get some springs fitted but the ride in my car is quite stiff at the mo, don't know if I can deal with it getting any stiffer :blush::blink::lol:

the springs that were fitted were brand spanking new.

the procedure used was much the same as that in the knowledgebase section.

the shocks remained the same, just changed the springs over.

The front trim height is a done deal despite any settling, the rear will take a few hundred miles to relax. Nevertheless the rear shouldn't be off over the axle.

I'm sure the install is correct but did you remove the lower "D" shaped camber adjuster when fitting the rears?

cheers matey

:lol: Two Mr Hutchinson's that post on here Rob :P :D

the springs that were fitted were brand spanking new.

the procedure used was much the same as that in the knowledgebase section.

the shocks remained the same, just changed the springs over.

The front trim height is a done deal despite any settling, the rear will take a few hundred miles to relax. Nevertheless the rear shouldn't be off over the axle.

I'm sure the install is correct but did you remove the lower "D" shaped camber adjuster when fitting the rears?

i'm not sure tony as my mate did the rears on his own as i had to be in 2 places at once so to speak. i'll ask him though.

so do you think its worth taking it for a geometry adjustment now to get the rears level??

i'll measure the height difference later from wheel to bottom of wheel arch and post that up so you can gauge the difference i'm on about - i'd guestimate about 15 mm though!!

cheers matey

:lol: Two Mr Hutchinson's that post on here Rob :P :D

damn!!! I meant you though!! :P :lol:

@Stav, yea it will have a geo setup done, but was advised to leave it a while while everything settles.

I'm just unsure about this inbalance in height at the minute.

@Tony, thanks for your input mate. I measured from ground to bottom of wheel arch and these were the results:

Drivers Side Front = 25 inches

Passenger Side Front = 24.8 inches

Drivers Side Rear = 25.5 inches

Passenger Side Rear = 26.5 inches

So you can see there is an approximate difference at the rear of 1 inch.

Also, the d-shaped adjustor was not removed. I think all that was undone was the 3 bolts on the suspension in the boot, and the one that goes horrizontally through the suspemsion assembly at the bottom..........

@Stav, yea it will have a geo setup done, but was advised to leave it a while while everything settles.

@Tony, thanks for your input mate. I measured from ground to bottom of wheel arch and these were the results:

Passenger Side Front Rear = 26.5 inches

Also, the d-shaped adjustor was not removed. I think all that was undone was the 3 bolts on the suspension in the boot, and the one that goes horrizontally through the suspemsion assembly at the bottom..........

jack the passenger side front rear up, take your wheel off, look to see if spring seated right, try to turn the spring to, this just might help it pop into position if its out.

Just been out to compare the ride height on mine and had a measure just out of curiosity?

Pass front : 24.0 inches

Drive front : 24.0 inches

Pass rear : 24.0 inches

Drive rear : 24.0 inches

Give or take a couple of mm all round so sitting quite level :question: thought the rear was lower from the look of it??

:D

Passenger Side Front Rear = 26.5 inches

jack the passenger side front rear up, take your wheel off, look to see if spring seated right, try to turn the spring to, this just might help it pop into position if its out.

had a look earlier and it appears to be seated fine mate, so not sure what could be amiss. i don't know whether the rear passenger is the iffy side or the rear drivers side if you see what i mean. but i'd suspect it to be the passenger side...

will get it jacked up tomorrow evening and have a closer look

Just been out to compare the ride height on mine and had a measure just out of curiosity?

Pass front : 24.0 inches

Drive front : 24.0 inches

Pass rear : 24.0 inches

Drive rear : 24.0 inches

Give or take a couple of mm all round so sitting quite level :question: thought the rear was lower from the look of it??

:D

sounds good that mate. yours is very low though mate. nice to see they're all behaving for u. :)

Not sure if it a good thing or a bad thing to have it sitting so level though?? plus it gives you something to compare on the height side of things when they all settle out, even though i've got the coilovers fitted matey :D

aye, but mine won't drop that low as the springs are -35mm i think and urs sits much lower than that.......as my driveway will prove :lol: :lol: :whistling:

Not sure if it a good thing or a bad thing to have it sitting so level though?? plus it gives you something to compare on the height side of things when they all settle out, even though i've got the coilovers fitted matey :D

aye, but mine won't drop that low as the springs are -35mm i think and urs sits much lower than that.......as my driveway will prove :lol: :lol: :whistling:

:lol::lol: at least you'll know if they do go as low as mine you'll need to dig a channel out of your drive :lol: :P :P

The problem area in my book would be the NSR @ 26.5".... Why is it so high?.... The other three wheels are relatively uniform.

Personally i really feel you need to have the Geometry measured.. I can help you with the target data and give you a live link during the calibration.

The problem area in my book would be the NSR @ 26.5".... Why is it so high?.... The other three wheels are relatively uniform.

Personally i really feel you need to have the Geometry measured.. I can help you with the target data and give you a live link during the calibration.

my car has always been high at the rear (as are most standard IS's), but assumed this to be the standard tractor setup, lol.

the springs all look correctly seated, the camber adjusters weren't touched, so why the difference?? could i have too much +ve camber on the NSR?? would that cause it?? i would suspect the OSR is more like the correct height for a freshly lowered car, but for some reason the NSR isn't playing ball....

so would you personally advise getting it booked in ASAP at a reputable 4 wheel laser allignment place and having them set it up as per your reccomendations? as opposed to leave it a while to settle down?? by a live link, i presume you mean telephone correspondance??

Honestly mate i think you need to have the Geometry checked......... Regardless of the height issue. We can safely take things from there.

so is it likely the two are related?? i.e geometry and height issues??

is there anywhere you could reccomend in the midlans? or failing that, i could drive to you this weekend if you have space for me :unsure:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links