Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Altezza Rs200 Heaters Blowing Luke Warm

im hoping someone here has found a simple solution for this before when engine gets warm the heaters still stay cold!!! (perfect timimg being winter and that):crybaby: there is a difference between dial set to cold and hot but its slight.

i think there might be an air lock but im not too sure. when i start the car from cold and pull away theres a swooshy bubbling noise behind the ctr console for a couple of secs.

opccasionally there is a nice smell of indian takeaway and the blowers warm up for a few mins.

any ideas?? :tomato:

im hoping someone here has found a simple solution for this before when engine gets warm the heaters still stay cold!!! (perfect timimg being winter and that):crybaby: there is a difference between dial set to cold and hot but its slight.

i think there might be an air lock but im not too sure. when i start the car from cold and pull away theres a swooshy bubbling noise behind the ctr console for a couple of secs.

opccasionally there is a nice smell of indian takeaway and the blowers warm up for a few mins.

Sounds like air lock, have you checked how much water you have in ?

yep all levels are ok! i think the garage i brought the car from may have topped everything up before i got the car so it may have happened then! anyone have any ideas how to clear it???

yep all levels are ok! i think the garage i brought the car from may have topped everything up before i got the car so it may have happened then! anyone have any ideas how to clear it???

When the car is cold, start it up, take the rad cap off, put the heater on full/hot, when car/water gets hot, see if you can squeeze/pump any of the water pipes with your hand (keeping a look out for any belts, dont put you hand near then) to try and get any air out of the system, sometimes parking your car on a steep hill will do the same, sort of getting the air to the top. I dont know if the altezza has a point on the cooling system that you can bleed it also.

When the car is cold, start it up, take the rad cap off, put the heater on full/hot, when car/water gets hot, see if you can squeeze/pump any of the water pipes with your hand (keeping a look out for any belts, dont put you hand near then) to try and get any air out of the system, sometimes parking your car on a steep hill will do the same, sort of getting the air to the top. I dont know if the altezza has a point on the cooling system that you can bleed it also.

excellent! ill give it a bash over the weekend

thanks very much

excellent! ill give it a bash over the weekend

thanks very much

ps, dont take the rad cap off when the car is hot.

it is a self bleeding system so no need to remove the rad cap.during the bleeding process,

however if you remove it when its cold,and the engine is switched off, if there was an air lock, the level would have dropped in the radiator especially if there is not sufficient fluid in the header tank.

firstly you need to top the radiator up to the bottom of the filler neck, replace the cap, and top up the header tank to the COLD mark.

Run the .engine till it reaches full operating temperature, with the cabin heating on full, fan speed at low.

this should self bleed and "burp" the cooling system, if not repeat.after allowing the system to fully cool, as it cools coolant is drawn from the header tank to replenish the voids in the sealed system

if it still fails to reach full temp, its possible that you have a faulty thermostat that is not regulating the flow around the engine, therefore it is constantly being cooled.

the coolant pipe linking radiator filler neck to the header tank is the highest part of the coolant system

From what I can tell looking at the manual the warm air is controlled by the air conditioning controller. There is a troubleshooting section that lists the following under 'no warm air comes out'.

1. Engine coolant volume

2. Air mix servo motor

3. Ambient temperature sensor

4. Room temperature sensor

5. A/C control assembly

6. Heater radiator

You need to determine if hot water is getting to the heater matrix before you go any further. If as has been mentioned you have an air lock then the matrix may be cold. If there is no control valve in the water pipe to the matrix then it should always be hot. You probably need to trace the pipes and feel if they get hot.

If the matrix is hot then it may well be that the air is not being allowed to flow over it. This is controlled by the air mix servo motor. It could be the motor, the controller or the sensors. You will need a wiring diagram and make some voltage measurements.

The two sensors involved can be tested by measuring their resistance. The ambient sensor is mounted behind the front bumper and should measure about 1500 ohms at 25 deg C but will be higher at lower temps.

The room sensor is mounted behind the 'lower finish panel'. It is not obvious from the diagram where it is located. I suspect that it may be just above the driver's or passenger's foot well. This has the same resistance values as the other sensor.

the cabin matrix is always hot, the mixer is an electrically controlled flap located on the inside of the box, the cold air is fed from above the passengers feet, below the windscreen into the aircon/ heater box, where it is directed by the different flaps along ducting to the different functions required

the room sensor, is located above the drivers knee in the lower dash trim panel, below the steering wheel, indicated by a rectangular black plate with a small grill in it

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links