Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Double Din Headunits

Returning to the subject of double din head units, I've just bought a Sony XAVW1 with the ipod adaptor to replace the original head unit in my IS200se, which keeps getting the ERR1 message and I suspect the dreaded ERR3 message is only a matter of time. I got the unit yesterday and it looks really smart.

I've got the amp bypass lead and I'll be following DJ Wozza's guide (many thanks for that) to modifying the autoleads fascia plate this weekend to get a nice satin black finish to match the dash. I had thought of fitting it myself but after seeing the amount of wires and leads I don't trust my ability and will be going to my Lexus dealership to get it fitted (car is under an extended non-Lexus warranty and don't want to invalidate it in anyway). I would really like the ipod adaptor lead to run through to the rear chubby hole (the one with the lid) on the tranmission tunnel between the seats but suspect that this may be too difficult and will probably settle for the lead going into the glove box.

I had thought of fitting a camera on the rear of the car to use the head units camera input as a reversing camera but didn't like the idea of screwing a camera to the back of the car.

I know that I could have got a cheaper head unit but tend to agree with others that you get what you pay for (I'll probably never watch DVDs in the car but I think its quite cool to be able to do it!).

I may post some photos of the finished result.

I would really like the ipod adaptor lead to run through to the rear chubby hole (the one with the lid) on the tranmission tunnel between the seats but suspect that this may be too difficult and will probably settle for the lead going into the glove box.

I have a Walkthru to fit a centre armrest, as a word document ,it covers removing the centre console if you want to try it.

Bilsy did a very good guide/walkthru to it on LOC somewhere..... HERE IT IS

Give it a try as it really isn't that hard to do, and you will be happier as it is the result you want.

I had thought of fitting a camera on the rear of the car to use the head units camera input as a reversing camera but didn't like the idea of screwing a camera to the back of the car.

You can get these with very small cameras that can be mounted either thru the rear numberplate,

or nr the number plate bulbs, but I have never done this so a qualified electrician/installer is probably best here.

The Sony looks good value and has a good spec. Did you compare it to any other brands at similar prices ?

Cheers for the walkthru link, I'm definitely going get the ipod adaptor lead through to there now. That chubby hole is the perfect size for my ipod and is nicely discreet too.

I did look at other head units around the same price but I really like the spec for the Sony and have read some good reviews for it. I would really like it to have sat nav (you can get an add-on unit to give it sat nav) but as I live on the Isle of Man it would only really be for posing value if I’m honest. Besides my work mobile (XDA Orbit) has gps so I can actually use that for tom tom sat nav if I want anyway. Pioneer does some nice double din units but they are a few hundred quid more and I thought £500 was enough of a present for me. I personally like Sony stuff as I find that it’s well made and sounds good. I know that a double din unit isn't really necessary but as the car will take one I thought why not.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links