Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance Claim Question

MacRS200

Not me but #2 Step Son was "rear ended" at a set of traffic lights, towing eye took the brunt and the floor in the boot has then distorted. You can see it in the spare wheel well.

The car is a 3 door Corsa and probably worth about £400, it is reliable and has no other major defects.

Going down the correct road he has reported to his insurance company and took it to their approved repairer for an estimate to fix. Fairly obvious but the bloke there told him that it would cost more to fix that the cars worth, fair enough.

The car is still safe and driveable and no major bends or obvious signs of being out of alignment.

Question is what happens now? Assuming that the respective Insurance Companies agree liability is with the other driver, will the car be "written off" or can he just claim for a reduction in the cars value to say £100, as it is, and bank the difference?

he can pay the car back from the insurance comp for less £100 and pocket the ress of the pay out and get it fixed if he wants

i think he will need a new mot but that its

i am just getting it to all this as most of you know i am a mot tester and work next door to a body shop and he is just starting to buy the right offs (cat c &d) to make a bit more money so i thought i have the skill so i am starting to do it as well so i will be up on this sort of thing soon

am looking at a is200 at the mo front and back smash and 2 wheels might go for it if its cheap

but i am going to do bikes to start so a bit of a q from me as well does a bike need a vic check on a cat c

Cat C + D will require VIC testing.

Neil, you will get the car back i you really want however it will be at the least a Cat D - Insurance writeoff, beyond economical repair.

Personally, if he is not to blame I would put it through insurance get the money and buy something else.

of course if it is not worth repairing could cancel the claim and leave it as is. That way it won't show as a write off. Could also see if the other guy will stump up the £100 in cash and avoid insurance going any further.

of course if it is not worth repairing could cancel the claim and leave it as is. That way it won't show as a write off. Could also see if the other guy will stump up the £100 in cash and avoid insurance going any further.

Good point, never thought of that.

Is it not too far on now that the "wheels" have started to grind?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links