Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Start-up Problems

Morning Chaps.

This used to happen very occasionally, but has recently become at least twice-weekly; let me explain. When I start the car (99 model) either hot or cold, rather than firing up straight away, the car just spins over. At these times, it may take 2-3 attempts to get is to start. Battery fine and cranking over fine. No dash warning lights on. Engine fluids fine. When it does start, runs sweet as a nut. Any ideas?

By the way, just passed its MOT. Needed front discs + pads, rear tyre and brake light bulb.

And the CD player through up an err3; no matter how much banging/thumping gonna clear this one. Opted for a new aftermarket head unit that should be arriving this week, new rear 6*9s and a small sub for the boot. Will send pics when I've fitted it in. Which reminds me to ask; is it ok to remove the front passenger seat? I ask in case there may be issues with the SRS.

this has happened to me a couple of times .

i've tried various things what seems to resolve it is by locking and unlocking the car

so i'm guessing i may have pressed the lock button whilst getting into the car and in doing so have turned the immobiliser on

it starts on the button after doing this

hope this helps you

There have been a few posts on this subject and i have also stated about this problem on here ....also asked lexus hatfield..is300 had the same prob but they sorted this out via the ecu.....but apparantly there is no cure or reason as to why this happens to the is200. :crybaby:

i have found ( through someone telling me on LOC ) ( cant remember who though ) when you get in turn the key untill the dash lights come on put your foot on the fast pedal push to the floor ...release..then turn the car over..i have done this and have not had the problem since..works every time for me....was also told that could be that the fuel pump hasnt got up to pressure???? but dno.. :whistling:

anyway try what i have said ....and hope it helps..

I think it's robs idea to press the acc b4 turning the key..if u search my posts u will see i've had this problem for like a yr....car doesn't start, second turn never starts, but always starts on third.. i've been using Robs idea and it's been nearly a month and the car has always started, so i think it may be a solution (if you can call it a solution). The way i do it is, (got a habit of only inserting key in when alarm light is off between blinking) insert key in, turn on to do engine check etc etc, wait for them to finish, press on the acc pedal down for 10 seconds, depress the acc pedal and turn key to start car. Like i said many times b4, i get this not starting business like once or twice a month (hot and cold), so far it's not happened since ive been using Robs method, but then it's a very intermittent fault (and very embrassing when in work car park and they see a lexus not starting (even worse when someone is in ur car like a date lol). But yeah, im also waiting for the real reason for this fault, so i will carry on using Robs method...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links