Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Beam Pattern Correction

After my MOT last year, the MOT tester said my headlights had no beam pattern/splitting. I have 6500k HID's fitted and wasn't aware the beam pattern would be affected.

I always thought it was the silver bulb protector/shield thing that caused the beam pattern to take its shape and not the bulbs themselves. Is this the case??

How can i go about correcting the beam pattern??

Both silver bulb shields are in place (so one hasn't broke and therefore that can't be the cause).

The HID's don't seem to dazzle other drivers, and they do throw so much light on the road its fantastic (highhly reccomended mod for ANYONE with a car!!!).

Cheers

Rob

You can't... The reflectors are not designed for HID usage and it is down to the tester if he passes them... (technically, they are illegal.)

put the normal bulbs back in, get it tested, then change em back...

or, buy a set of OEM HID headlights from the dealers.... ££££££'s

I know what I'm doing in March :P

John

I get my car MOT'd at my Lexus dealer every year and they've never said anything about the HIDs - seeing as prices are standardised now should just save yourself any hassle and have it done at Lexus..........

Having said that, I think HIDs normally have a more focused reflector due to the extra light output available. To be honest I've looked into it and it didn't seem worth the trouble, but a projector type conversion seems to be the best option but it isn't cheap.

The other alternative is to get some IS300 headlights but they have some installation issues on the IS200. The only thing that I thought about in the past but then never followed up with is does anyone know if the reflector part on IS300 headlights will fit in the housing of IS200 ones? This might be an option if you can get a cheap set from somewhere and they fit..........

Could be down to the Type of HIDs you have, Other people who have had HIDs and passed, may be a different design that doesnt effect the beam pattern.

May be try a different set of HIDs if your desperate to keep them and not have to swap annualy.

oh ok cheers guys. thats what i did this time round - just swapped back to standard bulbs.

just wondered, thats all.

i'll be buying a new set of HID's at some point soon i think, as i feel like treating myself to some brand spanking new ballasts/bulbs. was toying with the idea of an 8000k set, but think that may get me too much attention from the plod so will stick with the 6500k.

cheers for your help guys

rob

I've got 8300Ks on mine, and never had any trouble as they're not that blue...........

Sometimes I wonder whether I got the right ones though, hopefully at some point I'd like to compare them to the 6500 or 4300s to see how much light they put out in comparison.........

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links