Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tips For Taking My Car Abroad

saracen

I watched an episode of Top Gear last year where they took a three super cars to France to drive across the Millau Bridge (highest bridge in the world). I'm thinking of recreating the journey this summer.

Any tips I should bear in mind before taking the SC over there. A friend said I might need to readjust the headlights before going otherwise I might get a fine. Is this true?

Anyone else taken their cars abroad?

Guest inicol63

I drove mine through ITALY SWITZERLAND AND FRANCE, with out any changes.

But your friend is correct.

You should have a set of replacement bulbs

Warning Triangle.

And of course the headlight kits the redirect your beams.

And a load of change for the toll roads.

Also might be worth checking your sat nav disc is up to date.

Sounds like a great drive let me know how it goes good luck.

Thanks for the reply inicol. I have an uptodate sat nav disc which I purchased last year. I'm just worried about keep getting flashed for not adjusting the headlights or worse getting pulled over by the police and getting an on the spot fine.

I drove over in March for a few days in the North of France, and didn't do anything but when I got on the ferry and went to the duty free I bought the Euro compliant kit for headlights never bothered fitting it and didn't have any problems, I wish I hadn't bothered buying it but loads of other people buying them and bottled it in case they knew something I didn't.

If you're going on the ferry it may be worth dropping off any passengers you may have before you get anyone parked next to you or if you're first on then parked next to the bulkhead (bigger doors on the SC) as the image of my wife having to climb out through the roof is one I'll remember for quite some time, when we arrived in France she walked through the car deck until it was clear, and waited for me.

I have been driving in Europe for years and never had problem with lights. I used to fit beam deflectors but haven't done so for years now. I did read somewhere that they are only required for stays of 90 days or more but not 100% sure it's correct. Spare bulbs(even if they can't be fitted at roadside!),triangle,first aid kit,hi viz,breakdown cover(I needed it once in my Lex when the Battery died at the docks in Calais).Police are getting very heavy about UK reg cars speeding lately also.

Hope you have a great time.

Thanks for all the comments guys - you've managed to put my mind at rest. I will be sure to carry all the bits you mention - just wondering where all the luggage will go :duh:

We are travelling over on Eurotunnel so shouldn't have to worry about people parking next to us and from the pictures I've seen the carriages are quite wide.

• 1 month later...

On the list of items that should be carried in France is a fire extinguisher (that's been the law since the 1970s) and, since last year, flourescent bolero-type things so that you can be seen easily if you break down. I don't know how hot the police are in stopping foreign (to them) cars, but my family lives in France and warn me not to take any chances.

docrobin

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Saracen. I'm off to France next month to see the family. Apart from a mile or two at each (and the ferry) end it's motorway and autoroute all the way, so it'll be interesting to see how many mpg I get.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links