Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Changing Front Lower Suspension Ball Joints

Mark Bradley

Hi All,

Just received news from the local lexus dealer that my IS200 W-Reg 2000 has failied it's MOT upon and I quote "Nearside/Offside front suspension joint has excessive play in lower suspension ball joint".

They also kindly quoted to repair as you'd expect, costing £271.38!!!

I've sourced the parts already from a local supplier who can get them ordered for pickup this time tomorrow at just £40 plus VAT.

Now my father-in-law and I aren't afraid of getting ones hands dirty, so would appreciate any information, instruction and or guidance as to whether or not we should do ourselves, how it is done, how easy/hard it is, any pitfalls, additional equipment/tools that are essential, etc, etc.

Cheers Mark "Maddog" Bradders

I have never done this on an IS before but I think the ball joints come complete with the suspension arms. In which case you will need a ball joint breaker to remove the joints and arms and the new ones should just bolt back in again. If the ball joints come seperate all together then I think they will need to be pressed in and out using a hydraulic press.

Someone who has done it will tell you for sure though.

The lower ball joints bolt onto the bottom of the hub with a couple of bolts. You will need a ball joint splitter to seperate the ball jount from the bottom arm, and a breaker bar with a socket to fit the bolts that connect to the hub. That should be it I think. I've seen a walk through with pics somewhere (not neccesarily for an IS but the setup was the same) but can't remember where though.

The lower ball joints bolt onto the bottom of the hub with a couple of bolts. You will need a ball joint splitter to seperate the ball jount from the bottom arm, and a breaker bar with a socket to fit the bolts that connect to the hub. That should be it I think. I've seen a walk through with pics somewhere (not neccesarily for an IS but the setup was the same) but can't remember where though.

Thanks for the advice. My father-in-law just popped in for a cuppa and after further searching we found a post with the following link http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=44611 (Thanks MacRS200) which I think is the walk through you're talking about. He says yep shouldn't be a problem and he even has the tools required.

Any ideas on the price of parts? Is £40 + VAT each side reasonable? Anyone got a reliable parts supplier?

Cheers Mark

go to http://www.bahamutcars.com/workshop/IS_98-05/index.html then repair manual> suspension and "front lower ball joint"

SKF make the ball joint and the price is around £45 inc

also be careful with the type of ball joint splitter u are using - if its the hammer in fork type be aware they can split the rubber

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the extra information, just bought the parts from http://www.jmotorcomponents.co.uk/ for £40 plus VAT, so we'll be fitting later this week.

Thanks Mark 'Maddog' Bradley

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links