Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Upgrading Speakers Without Replacing The Hu?

I'm rather comfortable in the world of electronic gadgets and solutions, but when it comes to car speaker systems I'm totally lost.

Not until I upgraded my interior and actually saw the boring looking original speakers I was tempted to buy something else, but I really don't want to replace my HU, so my questions is;

Can I get a better sound with different speakers, without replacing my HU?

I'm not interested in a subwoofer as I often need the luggage space, but I'd like to replace my front tweeters and door speakers as well as my rear 6x9s.

Let's say I'd buy this kit for example:

510T152S.gif

285REF9623I.jpg

Would it be possible to just replace my current speakers with these ones or do I need extra amps to power them? In that case, is it possible to connect them to the original HU?

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

The fronts are no problem depending on sizes of the speakers being compatible.

Tweeters

P3111396.jpg

Woofers

AlpineDoorWooferCrossover.jpg

Also depending on the size of the crossovers as those seem much larger than mine :whistling:

The rears are also no problem if your car is the 'S' version, not the 'SE' or 'Sport'.

You may need to make up some MDF Spacers for the fronts & rears though, or buy aftermarket spacers.

You can cut up the fronts and use those as spacers if you wish.

See here for information on upgrading the fronts

For rear Spacers & 6x9 Installation see this thread

The SE and Sport have an amplifier behind the glovebox on the left (on UK cars).

Replacement rears are not compatible with this amplifier as it has a bi-wired output.

If you want to replace the 6x9's (SE or Sport) you will need to buy an external amp if you are running the existing HU.

Hope this is all that you need.

The fronts are no problem depending on sizes of the speakers being compatible.

Also depending on the size of the crossovers as those seem much larger than mine :whistling:

The rears are also no problem if your car is the 'S' version, not the 'SE' or 'Sport'.

You may need to make up some MDF Spacers for the fronts & rears though, or buy aftermarket spacers.

You can cut up the fronts and use those as spacers if you wish.

See here for information on upgrading the fronts

For rear Spacers & 6x9 Installation see this thread

The SE and Sport have an amplifier behind the glovebox on the left (on UK cars).

Replacement rears are not compatible with this amplifier as it has a bi-wired output.

If you want to replace the 6x9's (SE or Sport) you will need to buy an external amp if you are running the existing HU.

Hope this is all that you need.

That's exacly the kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks mate! :D

I have the Sport version, but it has the smaller 2-wire speakers so that's perfect. I just recently replaced my rear speaker grilles with the bigger ones that says LEXUS

dsc0102fixcy7.jpg

dsc0098fixrj7.jpg

What about the size of the front speakers? How many inches are they? Thanks

16.5 cms from memory mate.

So your 6x9's are not bi-wired ?

That's 6,5" isn't it? :unsure: In Sweden the metric system applies to everything except rims, speakers, TVs and sailing boats :D

When I bought the grilles the bigger speakers were included. What I noticed is that there are actually two speakers in each.. um.. speaker. Therefore they need four wires each.

My original speakers have only two wires each so they are not bi-wired?

That's 6,5" isn't it?

Yep 6.5 inch.

Thats interesting. If they only have two wires they are not bi-wired. Which should mean you can run aftermarket 6x9s from the same output.

Do you have the amp behind your glove box? if the rear speakers are different, maybe the Swedish spec Sport does not have the premium sound system it does in the UK?

That's 6,5" isn't it?

Yep 6.5 inch.

Thats interesting. If they only have two wires they are not bi-wired. Which should mean you can run aftermarket 6x9s from the same output.

Do you have the amp behind your glove box? if the rear speakers are different, maybe the Swedish spec Sport does not have the premium sound system it does in the UK?

I think the 8 speaker system was optional extra on all IS200s in Sweden. Wierdly though in the spec sheet the premium sound system isn't mentioned anywhere but it exists.

There were four different IS200 alternatives in Sweden.

IS200 Core (standard)

IS200 Sport - Aluminium shift knob, pedals and door sills - Two tone steering wheel - Extra tinted rear windows - Torsen diff, stiffer suspension and strut bars

IS200 Executive - Same as Core but with electric rear view mirror (the one inside the car), Xenon lights and half leather interior

IS200 Limited edition (only 2004 model) - Simply has everything of the optional extras including full leather interior, sat nav and 18" rims.

I have no idea if there's an amp behind my glove box. Is there an easy way to find out?

Thanks

I have no idea if there's an amp behind my glove box. Is there an easy way to find out?

have a look :shutit:

Yeah, obviously, but do I need to remove the glove box or can it be seen from underneath? :P

Yeah, obviously, but do I need to remove the glove box or can it be seen from underneath? :P

You can unclip the sides of the glovebox so it drops right down , you will be able to see it then mate

Squeese the sides of the glove box inwards and the whole thing will rotate out and down and stay on its hidges (one pin in each hinge is easy to remove whole thing but shouldnt need to.

It's on the left hand side, should be able to see the heat sink easily.

Can photo it if ya need?

Nice one Paul, I have a pic somewhere but its on another PC lol.

The 6x9 speakers on a car with the "8 Speakers" has 2 sets of wires running to them from the amplifier.

1 set visible above the rear shelf, 1 set visible below. The reason they say it is an 8 speaker system is

because they are Bi-Wired like some expensice home Hi-Fi Speakers. They have no internal crossover

and are fed the low (bass 6x9) and mid-high frequencies (tweeters) seperately, hence 4 speakers on

the rear shelf, that appear as 2. These 2 systems are not interchangeable.

I read above that your original speakers had 2 wires not four. That leads me to believe your car has no amp,

and you can put aftermarket (Alpine, Pioneer, JBL etc) 6x9's in with no problem, not the bi-wired Lexus ones.

Look under the glovebox, 2 plastic pins in the hinges can pull out, then the glovebox

will drop when you release the catch. The amp will be there or not on the outer bulkhead.

So that is the extra amp which I do not want in my car if I'm going to replace my 6x9s?

Exactly. But if you don't have the bi-wired rears then you shouldn't have the amp anyway!

Incidenty, i think a lot of people leave it in rather than removing it (i will) as it can be a bitch to get out!

I must say I'm utterly impressed with how helpful all of you are. Everyone seems to be willing to share their knowledge. It's very different from Sweden. Thanks a lot guys :D

I will check for the amp (or the lack of it) in the afternoon and hopefully pick up some new speakers tomorrow.

Cheers

Edit: I just checked, and no amp is hiding behind my glovebox. I'm good to go

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links