Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fitting A 12v Power Point In Boot

I like to use an electric cool box in the warmer months...obvious activities such as keeping the shopping cool, or going out for the day and having a picnic.

I really need a constantly live 12v supply for this and therefore want to install one in the boot of the car.

Has anyone any suggestions as to the best place (most appropriate junction point) to connect this in?

Thanks.

Be careful if you run your coolbox in the boot - not advisable. I thought of doing it a couple of years ago but manufacturers advise against it due to possible overheating of the motor. This is because the space is confined and has no airflow whatsoever.

If you have it running on back seat, it won't be a problem to put it in boot when you are away from the car - it wont let food/drink get warm if lid is kept closed.

Be careful if you run your coolbox in the boot - not advisable. I thought of doing it a couple of years ago but manufacturers advise against it due to possible overheating of the motor. This is because the space is confined and has no airflow whatsoever.

If you have it running on back seat, it won't be a problem to put it in boot when you are away from the car - it wont let food/drink get warm if lid is kept closed.

Thanks Dave, and point taken, however, over the past 3 years I have used a coolbox in the rear of my Saab 9-3 w/o any issues. I can imagine that protracted use or extensive use of the coolbox in a confined area such as the boot will in time reduce the life of the motor but I only tend to run it for 1-2 hrs at a time (I don't really like leaving anything on the back seat of the car when the vehicle is unattended).

Anyhow, it would appear, judging by the lack of response, that no-one else uses a coolbox, and if they do, they don't run it from the boot via a constant live... :whistling:

Anyhow, it would appear, judging by the lack of response, that no-one else uses a coolbox, and if they do, they don't run it from the boot via a constant live... :whistling:

Not everyone is on every day.

What is its operating current?

There is a perm 12v feed to the ML amp (assuming you have one) but not sure how much spare current you can pull from that as I'd imagine it would be for settings retention.

Think you may have to run one in.

(I don't really like leaving anything on the back seat of the car when the vehicle is unattended).

I run mine from rear cig. lighter socket, on back seat with safety belt fastened but, like you, don't leave things on show so I put it in boot if leaving car unattended. I would think that you could run a wire with a line fuse from Battery or cig lighter to boot and fit the end of the wire with the required socket.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links