Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Interior Rattles

2006 RX400h. 40K miles. I have a rattle in the back somewhere that I assumed was the center console lid or cup holder retracters or something. The rattle sounds the same whether the console/armrest is up or down or whether the lid for the drink holders is open or closed. Also I can reach back and push down on the lids and the console in general and the rattle stil rattles on. Does anybody have this same rattle (ant you would know) and if so have you found and corrected it? Thanks

2006 RX400h. 40K miles. I have a rattle in the back somewhere that I assumed was the center console lid or cup holder retracters or something. The rattle sounds the same whether the console/armrest is up or down or whether the lid for the drink holders is open or closed. Also I can reach back and push down on the lids and the console in general and the rattle stil rattles on. Does anybody have this same rattle (ant you would know) and if so have you found and corrected it? Thanks

I think this must be same noise,I used to have for 2 years.I have a 2006 RX400 too.It is described as noise of the rear chair,somewhere in this forum,but Lexus told me it comes from a metal in the chassis,which is deformed by the slings during the transport.I think it will be difficult to fix it yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, check out the little levers on the edge of the boot, about waist height, used for securing the luggage cover. If these are 'open' they tap against the boot. Lock them closed and you'll enjoy silent motoring again. ;-)

I found a rattle came from the retractable rear parcel shelf...... travelling with it extended helped.

Some of the toolkit accessories had come unseated from their pouch and were rattling - sometimes it can be something totally innocuous - just try to figure out where the noise is coming from and have a root and rummage. These cars are well screwed together - so its likely to be something simple. Do let us know how you get on :)

1 - check luggage cover is "plugged in" correctly

2 - fasten up rear seat belts

3 - moved rear seats at all - check they are locked in place

4 - check under boot storage and toolkit in spare wheel

Same noise since day one (11.11.2005) , unfortunately with or without the luggage cover locked...

• 5 months later...

same here, RX 300 04, have taken everything out to isolate the problem so far

have emptied

all goods, storage

taken out rear shelf cover completely

all tools, jack under boot stuff out of car too

secured spare wheel to most possible

even the little metal thing that holds the under boot storate open

still the same noise, quite annoying on these unmaintained small roads

so would be most glad to hear if anyone finds an answer

think I cured 80% - by using blue tag on the luggage cover levers that does auto retract to stop it rattling.

think that feature is an utter waste of time anyway

also there is a metal holder to hold the flap for underboot storage that seemed to make some noise - i took it off completely.

same here, RX 300 04, have taken everything out to isolate the problem so far

have emptied

all goods, storage

taken out rear shelf cover completely

all tools, jack under boot stuff out of car too

secured spare wheel to most possible

even the little metal thing that holds the under boot storate open

still the same noise, quite annoying on these unmaintained small roads

so would be most glad to hear if anyone finds an answer

this is one of the best descriptions how to cure your RX rattle

Sources of rattle

based on this i did a detailed description with photographs on how to do it. this is currently in german language, but have a look at the photographs, and if needed i will translate them to english and post them here. please scroll down to the pictures.

how to cure the rattle in the rear

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Williz, Many thanks indeed ! That is some post and I can figure out most of it, with the 2 yrs of German I know. the amount of loose bits do annoy me though for a lexus ! I have owned a Honda (for Japanese cars) before and havent had any for the 5 yrs I had it.

I'm also not liking the feel of driving over bumps/potholes - I seem to be able to feel the smallest pothole on the road and when it hits and does make it uncomfortable let alone being noticeable. It can be a bit embarrassing when you drive with friends, etc.

But thanks a lot for your input which most appreciated

take care

My RX400h was completely rattle free until recently when I started getting a loud intermittent ticking from the passenger seat area. The cause was the map pocket on the back of the front passenger seat. The pocket consists of a flap pulled up against the seat with some elastic straps. My children had so overstuffed this pocket with books and DVDs that the elastic had become permanently stretched so when empty the flap was no longer pulled up tight against the seat back. A little bluetac where the flap meets the seat sorted this.

The only other noise I get is when driving away on a very cold day. As the interior warms up there is the odd tick and click from the dash area.

P.S. most noises I get in my car can be traced to toys, DVDs and other assorted bits of child paraphernalia rattling in the back of the car!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links