Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lpg Conversation

GSSPORT

Hi All,

The cost of petrol is wiping me out financially at the moment (and expect it is for all of us) and it seems that the 'pundits' are are saying that this will increase over the coming months.

As all GS owners will know, the beast does drink alot (28mg on motorways at 75mph), so I am seriouly considering 2 options. The first is to sell the car and buy a diesel (although I will miss it dearly) or alternatively convert it to LPG.

I'm sure quite a few people on here might be thinking similiar thoughts.

I was wondering whether anyone has converted the GS to LPG and can they recommend anyone preferably Herts, Cambridge, Essex or London.

All comments appreciated.

Thanks

It all depends on how many miles you do.....LPG conversions cost the best part of £2k.

I am in the same situ.......as much as I adore the Lexus brand, Cust service etc....am still looking at the latest model BMW 5 series 3.0d.....faster than the GS 3.0 petrol but much better MPG......u can pick up a 53 plate for about 12k................

I would have considered the IS Diesel.....but it's not a very nice car.....gearbox is not good.

It all depends on how many miles you do.....LPG conversions cost the best part of £2k.

I am in the same situ.......as much as I adore the Lexus brand, Cust service etc....am still looking at the latest model BMW 5 series 3.0d.....faster than the GS 3.0 petrol but much better MPG......u can pick up a 53 plate for about 12k................

I would have considered the IS Diesel.....but it's not a very nice car.....gearbox is not good.

Yep, I was also looking at the BMW 530D Sport, great handling, better than a MK2 GS, but not as nice inside and you don't get the comfort creatures. On the LPG issue, I have worked out that if I do 20k miles it will pay for itself (£2k) and I will always be able to sell it. I think alot of people are saying the same. I have heard that you should go for the multi-point system.

Do you know if you get any power loss when converting to lpg?

• 4 weeks later...

I've been looking into doing this - I'm getting raped by the price of fuel at the moment.

I don't think there's a power loss if the system is fitted and configured properly. The only LPG car I've ever been in was a 1.6 Astra, and it was rubbish. But that's probably because it was a 1.6 Astra...

I'm probably going to get it done, but I need to get 2 grand together first :(

• 1 month later...

I've been running a GS300 for the last 4 years or so on LPG, with a OMVL Dream system fitted, for almost 60,000 miles.

The acceleration is down a bit on petrol, but if you feel like beating somebody off at the lights, you can always flip it over to petrol quickly and then back again. It does the engine good to do this occasionally as I believe that petrol has a better lubrication property than LPG.

Be very careful that you do not get a radiator leak as that will prevent the evaporator working correctly and that can cause a head gasket to blow, an expensive job.

I've got a 70 litre tank that fits in the space previously occupied by the spare wheel. A larger capacity tank would be advisable if you do a lot of miles

I've been pleased with my conversion and am in the process of switching it over to my new(er) model.

If anybody out there has an electrical wiring diagram for the Dream OMVL, I'd appreciate a copy.

• 1 month later...

I've just had my OMVL gear changed over from my Mk1 GS300 to my Mk 2 by Alan Baskerville Mansel of Essex LPG Autogas of Gt Stambridge near Rochford in Essex. The standard of workmanship was much higher than my first conversion and there is positively no difference in performance between LPG and petrol. There could be three reasons for this:

1 A larger fuel filter has been fitted.

2 The injectors have been fitted in the bottom of the manifold rather than the top (as my previous conversion).

3 Possibly the setting up (by computer) could be better.

I can thoroughly recommend this company.

Hi,

I have now been driving on LPG for the last ten years.Until April last year I was driving a Honda accord which I had converted in 1997, and did approx 120,000 miles on gas before selling it with 150,000 miles.I then did alot of research and after test driving a Lexus GS300, it was the best car I had driven.The car on a 2001 plate had only done 43,000 miles so would be good for conversion.After much research I opted to have the Prins VSI system, although it was a close call between the Prins and the BRC system. These modern systems being multi point injection are alot better than the previous one I had on my Honda which was single point and had experianced a few "blow backs". To my understanding this does not occur with the new systems.

I infact had mine converted via a marketing company called Fuelture and the conversion was carried out by LPG Conversions in Heanor,Derbyshire and paid 2k. which included a flash lube system which allegedly lubricates the valves as the Japanese cars tend to have softer valves. However,at the time some of the convertors I spoke to intimated that there was no need for the flash lube system on the Lexus, however I had one installed. I had a 70ltr torroidal tank fitted in place of the spare wheel,thus losing no storage space.

I have now done just over 20,000 miles on gas and it is brilliant! In terms of fuel economy last Sunday I did 264 miles on 56litres of gas which cost me £25.20, and that was with 5 passengers,full boot and average speed 80-85 miles/hr.I guess if I drove sensibly 55-60 miles/hr (boring) I may've got a few more miles!

Have a look at the Autogas site and ensure it is an approved LPGA installer. I can vaguely recall there being a company called Gastech based in Essex who had converted Lexus cars (always helps) and were very knowledgeable.Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I have now been driving on LPG for the last ten years.Until April last year I was driving a Honda accord which I had converted in 1997, and did approx 120,000 miles on gas before selling it with 150,000 miles.I then did alot of research and after test driving a Lexus GS300, it was the best car I had driven.The car on a 2001 plate had only done 43,000 miles so would be good for conversion.After much research I opted to have the Prins VSI system, although it was a close call between the Prins and the BRC system. These modern systems being multi point injection are alot better than the previous one I had on my Honda which was single point and had experianced a few "blow backs". To my understanding this does not occur with the new systems.

I infact had mine converted via a marketing company called Fuelture and the conversion was carried out by LPG Conversions in Heanor,Derbyshire and paid 2k. which included a flash lube system which allegedly lubricates the valves as the Japanese cars tend to have softer valves. However,at the time some of the convertors I spoke to intimated that there was no need for the flash lube system on the Lexus, however I had one installed. I had a 70ltr torroidal tank fitted in place of the spare wheel,thus losing no storage space.

I have now done just over 20,000 miles on gas and it is brilliant! In terms of fuel economy last Sunday I did 264 miles on 56litres of gas which cost me £25.20, and that was with 5 passengers,full boot and average speed 80-85 miles/hr.I guess if I drove sensibly 55-60 miles/hr (boring) I may've got a few more miles!

Have a look at the Autogas site and ensure it is an approved LPGA installer. I can vaguely recall there being a company called Gastech based in Essex who had converted Lexus cars (always helps) and were very knowledgeable.Hope this helps.

the very best and knowledge of 15years plus fully approved are panache autogas systems they have two branches one leicester 01162736123 07712 660 662 and one manchester 0161 2731303 i have ahd all my cars done including work mates and family and as above very happy

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links