Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs300 Mkii Rear Brake Caliper

tehspanna

Hey everyone!

Would anyone know where I can get a right rear brake caliper (or is anyone selling one?) for my GS?

I don't think it's repairable, and my local dealer told me it would be £440 to have a new one fitted.

A friend of mine is a mechanic, and has said that he can fit a new part for me, if I can obtain it.

Any help would be much appriciated.

Adam.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies! I've been looking around on eBay for a couple of days, but with no joy.

I have found somewhere in the States that sell the calipers at a decent enough price, but with import tax and shipping it could work out to be quite expensive.

I've managed to secure it for now after a bit of playing last night, and it's working again but I doubt it'd pass an MOT as it is.

I'll have a good look through those sites :)

Hi,

Thanks for your replies! I've been looking around on eBay for a couple of days, but with no joy.

I have found somewhere in the States that sell the calipers at a decent enough price, but with import tax and shipping it could work out to be quite expensive.

I've managed to secure it for now after a bit of playing last night, and it's working again but I doubt it'd pass an MOT as it is.

I'll have a good look through those sites :)

They are around £70'ish on both sites plus delivery so not bad really. Or you can get repair kits for £25'ish I think.

Yeah, it's not too bad - I'm confused as to which I need though. There are two that look very similar.

I know mine isn't the dual piston version.

I'm not sure a repair kit will work - it's not the sliding pin, it's actually the back half of the caliper - the metal has cracked and snapped somehow. Maybe I applied the brakes too hard?

Yeah, it's not too bad - I'm confused as to which I need though. There are two that look very similar.

I know mine isn't the dual piston version.

I'm not sure a repair kit will work - it's not the sliding pin, it's actually the back half of the caliper - the metal has cracked and snapped somehow. Maybe I applied the brakes too hard?

On both websites they give the casting number, your caliper will have this number on its casing so that is the best and most difinitive way of i.d'ing the correct one. It does look like the refundable deposit (surcharge) will not be refundable in your case if the caliper casing is actually damaged/broken, so the bill is likely to be a tad higher once that is taken into account.

I can't imagine that braking too hard would crack the case.

Excellent, I'll have a look for that at the weekend then. I do wonder how I've managed to do it, though.

Can you get a picture of the damage? I can only imagine it has been whacked by something, who knows what though.

I'll have a go over the weekend - it's broken in two places;

The mounting hole where the pin goes through (2cm of metal all the way around has snapped off, with the pin still attached), and lower down where the pad connects.

I'm wondering if it's some kind of manufacturing defect, maybe like a casting problem or some natural weakness in the metals used. I'm not really farmiliar with how the parts are made.

Unless a stone had been thrown up and jammed itself in causing the damage? You would certainly of heard when it happened I would've thought if it was a stone or similar.

• 4 weeks later...

Driving home the other night and a BIG BANG from nearside of car!!!!

Next Much Squeaking and Rattling From Rear Wheel

Needed new rear caliper and bits due to damage!!!

....Cause?.......>>in each rear brake assembly there is a 2inch metal strip which holds back the Handbrake cable inside the assembly......this dislodged (corroded), spun around the assembly and knackered the whole issue!!!!......

....This may be the cause!!!

However it provided a great excuse to visit lexus-----never has being relieved of cash been so much fun. (had new GS for a few Days :-) )

Driving home the other night and a BIG BANG from nearside of car!!!!

Next Much Squeaking and Rattling From Rear Wheel

Needed new rear caliper and bits due to damage!!!

....Cause?.......>>in each rear brake assembly there is a 2inch metal strip which holds back the Handbrake cable inside the assembly......this dislodged (corroded), spun around the assembly and knackered the whole issue!!!!......

....This may be the cause!!!

However it provided a great excuse to visit lexus-----never has being relieved of cash been so much fun. (had new GS for a few Days :-) )

Ouch. Did it involve a new caliper too?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links