Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Scratches Remover? How Does It Work?

Maz

Hi guys, was trying out some scratches remover yesterday on my Zafira first before trying it on my Lexus, but wonder how does it work? to me they are like wax, so how can they remove scratches? i tried on the Zafira first im able to remove only very very small scratches, most of the other scratches still there, how long do i need to rub those remover on?its the longer the better? and will T-Cut with colour work better with scratches? any advices will be grateful.....once i know how to use scratches remover proper, then i will try it on my Lexus...Thank in advance guys...

If the scratch is down to the undercoat then nothing will touch it. Have tried a couple of so-called scratch removers and they only mention surface swirls. My wife finds just using a decent polish (Autoglym) is the best solution

Scratch removers are polish or filler: usually polish. Polish is basically an abrasive (think liquid very very fine sandpaper). As wallace says if the scratch is deep enough to be felt then you won't be able to remove it but you can make it less visible by rounding the edges of the scratch with a good polish.

I find I've gotten good results on scratches with meguiar's scratch X and a good applicator pad.

have a read up on Autopia for more in-depth guides.

Meguiar scratch X is what i used, and most of the scratch are not deep (as least that was i think), maybe i didnt rub it long enough? will try some colour match T cut and see how it go.... ;) ;) ;) ;)

Meguiar scratch X is what i used, and most of the scratch are not deep (as least that was i think), maybe i didnt rub it long enough? will try some colour match T cut and see how it go.... ;) ;) ;) ;)

Maz, I had previously used Scratch X with a microfibre polishing pad applicator and had been seriously unimpressed with the results. however, recently I've been getting amazing results by changing to a foam applicator pad (the sonus 3 colour one).

Maybe try that - as the results from a polish will be better and more permanent than just filling the scratch with coloured goo.

Remember that a scratch is a scratch, nothing bar adding paint (ie respray/touch up) will 'remove it'. Cutting compounds like tcut dont remove the scratch, the either remove the sorrounding paint till the surface levels match and scratch is no longer seen. Or on deeper scratches they simply soften the look by smoothing off the edges. Thats why they can be very dangerous, take off too much paint and it will be down to primer! You also have to becareful as modern paints are in several layers so you have to contented with layers of laquer and paint, not just paint alone like in 'the old days'.

Scratch removers that claim to 'fill' scratches are usualy rubbish and are no substitute for a proper touchup/blow in.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links