Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

WELL, if I were a motor insurance company, I'd bribe Glass's Guide to downvalue second hand cars rapidly. In fact, so much that they would lose money as soon as you drive them off the forecourt of the garage.

If I were a car manufacturer, I'd bribe Glass's too.

Then I'd pay three yobs LED by a fat, juvenile, balding old fart from Doncaster to air a car show where they show morons how to treat their cars as though they were in a demolition derby.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just bought my 1991 LS400 with 125,000miles showing and the the belt was last changed in 2004. The car has done 25000miles since then. Does it require to be changed? I know 60-80K miles is a reasonable mileage between changes, but is there a time limit also?

I was just kind of worried, as we all know service histories can be tampered and faked. Most of the receipts I have are from when a private reg was on the car.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi DR g, if im correct in thinking its 60,000 or 6yrs which ever is sooner .

At 25,000 miles since the last change the belt should be fine . Givin the 6yr reference that should give you at least 2yrs before you should think of having it replkaced. That would be my thinking if it were my car .

cheers steve.

At 25,000 miles since the last change the belt should be fine . Givin the 6yr reference that should give you at least 2yrs before you should think of having it replkaced. That would be my thinking if it were my car .

cheers steve.

Thanks Steve.

I've just bought my 1991 LS400 with 125,000miles showing and the the belt was last changed in 2004. The car has done 25000miles since then. Does it require to be changed? I know 60-80K miles is a reasonable mileage between changes, but is there a time limit also?

I was just kind of worried, as we all know service histories can be tampered and faked. Most of the receipts I have are from when a private reg was on the car.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi

The early 1uz engine that you have in yours would not be damaged by a cam belt failure, the pistons do not hit the valves if it fails, so although the belt does need changing regularly you do not have to worry too much

Pete

Thanks for any advice.

Hi

The early 1uz engine that you have in yours would not be damaged by a cam belt failure, the pistons do not hit the valves if it fails, so although the belt does need changing regularly you do not have to worry too much

Pete

Hi Pete, thats interesting, i am under the assumption that most engines destroy themselves with cambelt failure . i.e.. pistons and valves bent . So how does lexus design a engine that overcomes this failing and then not use it in later models !!! it does not make sense, would it be a cost issue maybe . but then they just wouldnt have used it it the first place.

I think im looking at it to simply maybe lol

cheers steve.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi

Pete

Hi Pete, thats interesting, i am under the assumption that most engines destroy themselves with cambelt failure . i.e.. pistons and valves bent . So how does lexus design a engine that overcomes this failing and then not use it in later models !!! it does not make sense, would it be a cost issue maybe . but then they just wouldnt have used it it the first place.

I think im looking at it to simply maybe lol

cheers steve.

Steve

It’s all down to design. In some engines when the valves are fully open they are below the upper level of the pistons when they are fully up.... this doesn't matter when the camshaft is connected to the crankshaft as the valves are never fully open when the pistons are fully up, however when a cambelt snaps the camshaft and hence the valves stop moving and the pistons keep moving, if the camshaft stopped in the "WRONG" place then there is serious damage to the pistons and valves, sometimes its just a few slightly bend valves if you are lucky, In the early 400 engine the valves and pistons don't get near each other, I can't answer why, I don't know I would imagine it is something to do with combustion chamber design, swirl pots, valve timing or valve overlap. All these things make a difference to the power and torque characteristics of an engine and how the manufacturer wants the engine to be, I don't think sense comes into it, it is more important to them to get the engine right and leave it up to others to ensure it is serviced correctly. There are quite a few engines that do not get destroyed with cambelt failure but the garages never mention this so people get paranoid about damage, I did see a list somewhere once but I can't find it at the moment.

Pete

Thanks Jellybean,

Anyone know a little closer than the Fine Norwich?

I recommend Roys I was charged approx £200 inc VAT for a LS400 cambelt change last year - I had a free loan car from them and had a trip out to Gt Yarmouth for the day - always found Roys first class

MJM444

WELL, if I were a motor insurance company, I'd bribe Glass's Guide to downvalue second hand cars rapidly. In fact, so much that they would lose money as soon as you drive them off the forecourt of the garage.

If I were a car manufacturer, I'd bribe Glass's too.

Then I'd pay three yobs led by a fat, juvenile, balding old fart from Doncaster to air a car show where they show morons how to treat their cars as though they were in a demolition derby.

fan of top gear then :lol:

Actually it's there police car sketch that reminded me that the LS is cheap as it is got mine for £800 which is a bargain when you consider i paid £1000 for a mondeo a few years ago :no:

... a fat, juvenile, balding old fart from Doncaster ...

Would that, by any chance, be the fat, juvenile, balding old fart from Doncaster who has just signed a BBC contract for several million quid?

cheers steve.

Sorry to be an anorak on this, but it's 63,000 miles or 7 years. Paul

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links