Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

hey everyone, just recently got my car back from dealership after a service. I just realized that there are so many hairline scratches on the wooden centre console gear shift plate. It was definately not there before as I am usually very careful with that wood.

What can I do? Is there any good products out there that can get these scratches out?

Thanx

hey everyone, just recently got my car back from dealership after a service. I just realized that there are so many hairline scratches on the wooden centre console gear shift plate. It was definately not there before as I am usually very careful with that wood.

What can I do? Is there any good products out there that can get these scratches out?

Thanx

Furniture burnishing cream if you can get it...it's used to polish the two part epoxy heat resistant clear coat is used on worktops and tables etc. Failing that metal polish like Brasso, which is more or less the same as the burnishing cream...and it's good for bringin the plastic headlight covers back to life too :D

Failing that metal polish like Brasso, which is more or less the same as the burnishing cream...and it's good for bring the plastic headlight covers back to life too :D

Nice one - I'm going to try that now....

Thanx

Id be having words with the dealership...

Oh hell I've just put a deep scratch in the passenger window controls wood panel :shutit:

I've just tried to put the touch-up kit clear laquer on it to no avail - it looks a right mess.

Help ! Brasso ? French polish ?

How much is a new panel I wonder - anyone know ?

Oh hell I've just put a deep scratch in the passenger window controls wood panel :shutit:

I've just tried to put the touch-up kit clear laquer on it to no avail - it looks a right mess.

How did you do that??? :crying: They come out easy enough...never tried to remove the switch gear from the panel though

door4re9.jpg

Furniture burnishing cream if you can get it...it's used to polish the two part epoxy heat resistant clear coat is used on worktops and tables etc. Failing that metal polish like Brasso, which is more or less the same as the burnishing cream...and it's good for bringin the plastic headlight covers back to life too :D

I'm trying to get hold of some burnishing cream, cant really find it in any local superstores or anything so thinking of placing an order online. i've found one called Liberon Burnishing Cream, will that work?

What is the best application method? use applicating pad to apply and then buff off?

I'm trying to get hold of some burnishing cream, cant really find it in any local superstores or anything so thinking of placing an order online. i've found one called Liberon Burnishing Cream, will that work?

What is the best application method? use applicating pad to apply and then buff off?

Liberon will do fine. As it's only a small area suggest you apply with a clean soft cotton cloth and polish using small circular movements. Be careful not to let the cream 'dry out' ...just polish then buff with another clean soft cloth and keep repeating until the marks have gone.

How did you do that??? :crying: They come out easy enough...never tried to remove the switch gear from the panel though

door4re9.jpg

I was vacuuming the car with a hand held Dyson and thought I had the brush attachment extended. I vacuumed over the wood panel and the brush wasn't extended so the hard plastic attachment put a big scratch on the panel.

I have used the Lexus touch up kit to put a line of clear lacquer on the scratch and the scratch has completely disappeared but there now is a raised bump where the lacquer is. If I could somehow buff the lacquer so it's fluch with the rest of the panel that would do the trick. Or I could try to remove the lacquer and put a smaller amount back on.

Not sure what's best here...

I have used the Lexus touch up kit to put a line of clear lacquer on the scratch and the scratch has completely disappeared but there now is a raised bump where the lacquer is. If I could somehow buff the lacquer so it's fluch with the rest of the panel that would do the trick. Or I could try to remove the lacquer and put a smaller amount back on.

If you can get the panel out of the door and the switches out of the panel it would be worth finding a furniture restorer. Failing that you need to flatten the clear laquer unitl its flush with wet 2000 grade on a flat backing (I Evostick a small piece to a hard rubber, or for really small jobs a small disc stuck to the end of the rubber eraser on the end of a new pencil). The surface will go matt but will come back by polishing with the burnishing cream or Brasso.

If you can get the panel out of the door and the switches out of the panel it would be worth finding a furniture restorer. Failing that you need to flatten the clear laquer unitl its flush with wet 2000 grade on a flat backing (I Evostick a small piece to a hard rubber, or for really small jobs a small disc stuck to the end of the rubber eraser on the end of a new pencil). The surface will go matt but will come back by polishing with the burnishing cream or Brasso.

cheers Tango. I'll give that a try...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links