Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Could this be the right one to convert my wiring directly for my planned head unit replacement?

So far i have not removed my head unit to have a look at the plugs on the back.. but looking at this.. i am unsure as to if it bypasses the amp or feeds the signal to it? On my IS200 i made one from scratch with a multimeter and a iso harness.. but looking for a neater alternative this time.

The code for the harness is PC2-93-4

Certainly looks good to a point, but its the afterwards bit im concerned about, i.e. is there extra splicing? do i need to bypass the wires to the speakers around the amp?

I know this topic has been gone over before and after reading several none of them come to any decent conclusion.

If this way is correct i will document it all and post it up for future members etc.

PC2-93-4.jpg

211485045vb.png

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SWRSV9PL

right i have just downloaded this pdf off club lexus with regards to a wiring diagram and instructions for fitting a aftermarket head unit and also still utilising the stock amp!!!! pretty cool!

But its for the Nakmatshawallawallbingbang what ever its called stereo... how do i know if mine is like that?

Take it out and have a look - it's not that difficult.

From what I remember when I fitted my car kit (phone), you have to pull the ashtray so it comes out, and pull the vents in the centre console - both these are just press fit, though they have wires attached for lighting and the clock so remember that when pulling them out!

The rest of the stereo/climate control is held in by very obvious bolts and nice easy plugs for all the connections.

thanks very much, i do know how to remove the sterio... thought i might as well pose the question as to the legitimacy of the leads...

Also how do you tell the difference between the namagatchi and the pioneer head units that came with the car? as the megaupload link i posted does a complete run through on how to install a stock namagatchi to aftermarket and could be very useful as it has pin outs etc

Also how do you tell the difference between the namagatchi and the pioneer head units that came with the car?

On my factory head unit, it said Pioneer on the sticker on the back. Not really sure if the tamagotchi or whatever it is called is a manufacturer in its own right or not, so no idea what it would say instead of Pioneer.

I think mine said Pioneer on it as well.

Is the 'other make' folks are talking about Nakamichi?

very probably the correct spelling, was wondering if they had the same pinouts etc.. or if they were a completely different head unit?

amp is the same is it not

Will try and take some photos of it tonight if i can.. fingers crossed its the same!!

although there is that sub channel....

Looking at that LC7 module from celsusice, it uses the rca outputs to use the stock amp to handle the audio.. kinda cool i think.. cost unknown at the min though

amp is the same is it not

No idea mate. Are you say it is, or are you asking the question?

Where is the amp located on the Mk2 GS's? If it is in the boot like the Mk1's then the eBay harness will only be any good for the connectors (assuming the amp is the same), as the actual speaker cables will be running from the boot.

as far as i was aware there is a seperate amp as such for the sub in the boot and a "control and power module" in the front of the car that provides the power etc.

So many different people say so many different things on the forums.. makes me wonder if there was a variation in install methods as the car evolved.

I can only comment as far as the Mk1 goes, but the amp runs all of the speakers on the Mk1, with line level feeds from the headunit to the amp. When I did my install, I used the line level cables for the new headunit outputs and then effectively bypassed the amp in the boot by bridging the amp inputs straight to the amp outputs and discarding the amp (it is in the garage along with the changer and headunit). It may have just been a knackered amp or sub on my factory setup, but the bass was pants (the sub was working - just no oomph). The sub is now gone with the hole it lived in being a route into the cabin for the Vibe sub that runs in the boot. Much better sound all round than the factory kit (although I'm no audiophile so it would probably get slated by the big boys).

well i pulled the dash etc apart last night and found a few things out with the multimeter.. took lots of photos and labeled up the wires so will start posting them up in a min.

Power shouldnt be a problem as it seems that the amp does not distribute to the headunit, so switched live, permanent live and ground are all indipendant.. and are of stock toyota fitment plug wise.. although not pin wise.... as you will see.

the wiring then travels to the input of the amp, which there is also an imput for the audio directly from the CD changer... the signals are then processed and sent via thicker cables to a plug on the other side of the glove box which then appears to distribute to the rest of the car, i think including the power for the rear amp. Will try and do more investigation at the weekend upon instalation.

looking at the pin out wiring for the IS200 leads they are completely different, on the IS200 the two main plugs have a mixture of power and audio.. where as the GS300 has one for audio and the other handles power and the third signals for the CD changer

well here are the photos i took... starting with the back of the head unit

BackofheadunitLarge.jpg

here is the permanent and switched 12V

12vPermanentonheadunitLarge.jpg

12vSwitchedonheadunitLarge.jpg

here are the plugs for the back of the head unit

HeadUnitLeadsLarge.jpg

here is the amp on the left hand side of the dash with imputs for the head unit and outputs to the speakers (top)

AmpLarge.jpg

and finally the orange plug to the right hand side of the glove box underneath the CD changer that heads back to the speakers and sub from the amp on the left of the glove box.

Also note that there is a 12V power point arrowed on there

PowerandSpeakersLarge.jpg

well last night i took a standard Toyota ISO plug harness and popped all the pins out, and within 5 mins had re-ordered them to work directly with the lexus configuration... so when the head unit arrives it will at least have power and speaker output. we will see how it goes.. need the head unit on there to determine which pins are for the airel up and down wire and which are for the illumination wire... but i have a good idea.. will produce a PDF if people are interested in it on how to adapt the ISO harness and install the stereo... as i know i couldnt find any decent info out there

Right... everything is now installed.. and working great! had the assistance of Evoelf from here today..

We managed to create a complete plug and play solution for the head unit install that is completely free from any wire cutting.. which is nice if i ever want to reverse it. When i remake MK2 version tomorrow afternoon it should take less than 20 mins to install..

Couldnt use the amp itself to output but was easy enough to put a signal to the sub from the head unit, which will do till i install the amp and new sub (when i choose which one - Want to run a 10" free air sub in place of the the stock one to keep boot space)

Also the Pioneer PHBT20 is an excellent headunit and the handsfree capability is awsome.... so many features to learn...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links