Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lifting And Supporting The Car On Axle Stands

In the workshop manual it shows what looks like rubber things that sit on top of the axle stand to go under the sills. These rubber things seem to have a slit in the top to accommodate what must be a fin sticking down from the sill.

Does any of this make sense? What I really want to know is the best way to put axle stands under the car to support it when removing wheels for brake work etc.

Thanks

Mike

I normally jack the car up and place the axle stands under the chassis rails.

Thanks Mac but I have to show my ignorance - what is a chassis rail?

Mike

If you look under the car about 10/12" in from the sills you will see a square steel section running the lenght of the floor pan on both sides that's the chassis rails.

Hi

Trouble is with the 430 they have covered everything underneath with plastic shields, these look like chassis rails but have various pipes and cables running just under them, jack the car or stick axle stands on these and you will wreck something....

The only place I have found at the back is the support for the rear axle, its directly in line with the wheels so you have to go under from the side then back behind the wheel, be carefull of the little plastic spoilers on the rear axle.

At the front there is a place where the suspension arm bolts to the body, this has worked for me.

So be very carefull, I always put the wheel on its back under the cill area just in case anything happens, at least you will have a chance to get out OK... and make sure someone else is around when you are under the car.

If anyone knows the correct places please let us know....

Pete

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links