Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mines in 6th gear by the time i reach 55mph (2600rpm), i skip 5th gear completely, i go from 4th to 6th. The gear/car wobbling at speed can be a number of factors, as mentioned above could be something simple like wheel balance (if the lexus has excessive inner tyre wear, it can put the balance off from when it was balanced when the tyre were new). It's worth turning the steering wheel lock to lock and check out the inside edge of the tyre. Another factor could be warped discs due to worn front/rear discs, this in my experence happens between 50-60ish mph and than not noticeable below or above these speeds. Or like i had with my car a seized brake caliper (may pull towards a certain direction, usually towards the seized caliper when braking hard), the best way to check if you have seized caliper is go for a little drive (10-15 minutes, brake occasionally), stop the car somewhere safe and touch each caliper to see if any one of them are hot (use ur finger tips rather than the knuckle as a seized caliper can get alot hotter than you think!). It's the heat from the seized caliper that contributes to warping the discs, especially if they are worn from everyday use. Also worth noting is that when i had a seized brake caliper the car would judder like mad when you first pull off sometimes, at first i thought my clutch had gone, and you will also notice the seized caliper's wheel will be alot more dirty from the brake pads than the other wheels on the car. Have i scared you yet lol? BTW welcome to LOC!

hi m8 and welcome to the loc.

get the wheels balanced 1st b4 you start looking into other things. the clutch judder is caused by the flywheel being a dulemass type just add a bit more revs you will get use to this and stop getting the judder about 1500 does for mine

Further to the clutch juddering, in the few days that I've had my IS200, I've found that a very low amount of revs will give you a smooth start too, if you've not trying to get a quick getaway - i.e. a very light touch on the accelerator. A bit more gives me some juddering, a bit more revs makes it smooth again (probably the 1500 mark that others have referred to), and again increasing it too much makes it judder some more.

So it's a matter of practice. On my car there seem to be two separate points that work smoothly in terms of the revs.

Mines in 6th gear by the time i reach 55mph (2600rpm), i skip 5th gear completely, i go from 4th to 6th. The gear/car wobbling at speed can be a number of factors, as mentioned above could be something simple like wheel balance (if the lexus has excessive inner tyre wear, it can put the balance off from when it was balanced when the tyre were new). It's worth turning the steering wheel lock to lock and check out the inside edge of the tyre. Another factor could be warped discs due to worn front/rear discs, this in my experence happens between 50-60ish mph and than not noticeable below or above these speeds. Or like i had with my car a seized brake caliper (may pull towards a certain direction, usually towards the seized caliper when braking hard), the best way to check if you have seized caliper is go for a little drive (10-15 minutes, brake occasionally), stop the car somewhere safe and touch each caliper to see if any one of them are hot (use ur finger tips rather than the knuckle as a seized caliper can get alot hotter than you think!). It's the heat from the seized caliper that contributes to warping the discs, especially if they are worn from everyday use. Also worth noting is that when i had a seized brake caliper the car would judder like mad when you first pull off sometimes, at first i thought my clutch had gone, and you will also notice the seized caliper's wheel will be alot more dirty from the brake pads than the other wheels on the car. Have i scared you yet lol? BTW welcome to LOC!

Thanks alot for your advise mate, much appreciated :winky:

hi m8 and welcome to the loc.

get the wheels balanced 1st b4 you start looking into other things. the clutch judder is caused by the flywheel being a dulemass type just add a bit more revs you will get use to this and stop getting the judder about 1500 does for mine

Hi mate, thanks for your advise, the more i drive the less it seems to be happening, i will get used to it me thinks, feck, i sound like a 17yr old L driver, ( wish i was, 17 yrs old i mean ), many thanks :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links