Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fifth Injector Then The Particle Filter

my is220d has left me stranded at the road side for the 4th time. not the ususal fifth injector, which was replaced (again) under recall. this time the particle filter (or something along those lines) was blocked. at least this time it only took 2 days for a repair. apparently this is another modified part.

i cant understand why they dont just replace all the modded parts at once. its obviously something they know something about.

so if you're having your 220 into the workshop it may be worth asking them to give this filter thing a look over.

my is220d has left me stranded at the road side for the 4th time. not the ususal fifth injector, which was replaced (again) under recall. this time the particle filter (or something along those lines) was blocked. at least this time it only took 2 days for a repair. apparently this is another modified part.

i cant understand why they dont just replace all the modded parts at once. its obviously something they know something about.

so if you're having your 220 into the workshop it may be worth asking them to give this filter thing a look over.

I just get the feeling that ther are still more fundamental issues with the 220d emissions systems. It's been buggy from the start, and you have to think that if the pipes and filters and so on are getting clogged, are the internal components OK and clear? I'm sure t's all fine & dandy...after all, it is a Lexus...but...I read recently somewhere that cars with a particulate filter need a "blast" on the motorway from time to time, as they are supposed to be self cleaning. They can only do this at very high temperatures. So, if you drive around in town mainly, then it is in your interest to take a cross country blast every few weeks...

The DPF is a filter - i.e. it removes soot and local particulates. So unless the car can "self clean" it effectively, then you could get clogging.

I've also read that the Cat and filters need to be run at high temperatures - thus the engine is idling at 1200rpm until warmed up. It's trying warm up quickly....so by that logic if you do short trips then the system will never get hot nough to be running efficiently and thereby clogging up. I bet this problem ill be affecting all cars with DPF...It's just that IS was one of the first to deploy thsis "clean" technology and therefore may be not as efficient, or Lexus owners are more demanding and want prfection??

To be honest, this was on of the main reasons I chucked it in...I had lost total confidence! Evn with all the mods, software and hardware, the car was still running at mid 30's MPG, even on a gentle run...and things weren't improving with mileage...you know the rest!

Good luck guys - may be your salvation is to follow dgman's example and use that Millers DPS4 or other "cleaner".

I just get the feeling that ther are still more fundamental issues with the 220d emissions systems. It's been buggy from the start, and you have to think that if the pipes and filters and so on are getting clogged, are the internal components OK and clear? I'm sure t's all fine & dandy...after all, it is a Lexus...but...I read recently somewhere that cars with a particulate filter need a "blast" on the motorway from time to time, as they are supposed to be self cleaning. They can only do this at very high temperatures. So, if you drive around in town mainly, then it is in your interest to take a cross country blast every few weeks...

exact timing when will your car decide to clean DPF is not something you can actually control in any way, you might be driving hundreds of km on motorway and still car might wait for something to start cleaning particle filter

I've also read that the Cat and filters need to be run at high temperatures - thus the engine is idling at 1200rpm until warmed up. It's trying warm up quickly....so by that logic if you do short trips then the system will never get hot nough to be running efficiently and thereby clogging up. I bet this problem ill be affecting all cars with DPF...It's just that IS was one of the first to deploy thsis "clean" technology and therefore may be not as efficient, or Lexus owners are more demanding and want prfection??

as far as I know (or remember) very first car with DPF was peugeot 607 in their 136bhp 2.2l hdi engine and that was around 2000-2001 (607 had particle filter from the very beginning)

regarding this whole 220d thing, I might just add that this problem (for some reason) seems to be limited to is220d and not to for example avensis or corola verso; and there should be a reason for that

I had oportunity to test 220d and I had fuel consumption which I expected (around 8l/100km for a three day test driving in really various conditions seemed ok to me), and if there was something to complain about it was gearbox, I would not say that gearbox ratios are wrong but they sure are odd to me

• 2 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links