Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Humming / Droning Noise From Front 2000 Gs 300

I have a W Reg GS 300, I have only had the car a month and very pleased with it, But as soon as you hit 20 mph I can hear a humming / Droning noise which seems to be coming from the front of the car. It has only done 43K miles so dont think its bearing noise or tyres as these have all been replaced.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so how do you fix it.

Many thanks in advance

Hi, Welcome to LOC....

Can you descibe the noise a little more - Is it continual pitch as whatever speed you are at or does it change. How loud?

Not just noisy tyres is it? One of the things in having such a quiet car is that you hear things you dont hear in other cars because their engine and other noises drown them out.

I had a droning noise from the front of my GS. Went on for years - drove me up the wall.

Then I got a divorce and thankfully it stopped.

Anyway, just to be helpful, you need to eliminate the bearings - while you may have replaced the tyres it is unlikely you will have replaced the bearings which can become noisy at this mileage. They are massive, like off a 767 and cost over £ 100 each. Pulling them off the hub is a sod and the car will need a realignment afterwards.

The bearings can become noisy even with no discernable play. The best test is to drive it in an 'S' pattern at 30 - 40 on a straight road and see if the pitch changes.

Thanks for the help guys, Will test driving in an S pattern to see if there is a change in the pitch. The humming noise is constant and its almost like you can feel something under you feet.

If it is the bearings is there any way of telling that they need replacing by looking at them or do you need to changed ?

Could it be caused by the exhaust system ?

Thanks again in advance.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links