Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another Insurance Thread.....

mr frosty

Got me renewal thru from A-Plan who i'd been with for 2 years, premium had increased by £40 which i wasn't too pleased about cos i've made no claims. Gave them a call to ask why and got a generic response about car insurance premiums going up generally.

They said they will contact my underwriters Eagle Red Star and try to negotiate a better deal. In the meantime i got a few quotes from internet comparison sites and got it back down to £300.

When they phoned back they said they could'nt budge on the price so i told them about the internet quote and they warned me about the perils of using these companies and that i would not get the same standard of cover. I said yeh cheers i'll think about it.

Anyway got a follow up call from the company that came out at £300 and they said if i spend 5 mins answering their questions they'll try to better the quote.

So after giving them more personal details about my circumstancies they came back with an improved quote of £270.

I asked who the underwriters were...........and yes you've guessed it is Eagle Red Star!!!!

So i've saved myself £70 quid and stayed with the same company,same cover, just different broker.

FYI i'm 38

9 years NCB protected

Legal cover and courtesy car included

HU postcode

fully comp with mods declared

Just shows don't accept cheeky increases, it pays to shop around.

That's a result! Car insurance is so annoying like that............how does it work in terms of brokers? Is it like mortgage brokers where they get a flat fee for every customer they sign up, or do they get a percentage of the premium?

Thing I love about car insurance is the supposed no claims discount. What exactly are they on about when they say it's a 70% discount after x amount of years? 70% of what figure? One they just make up and you never get to know what it is? Do they have some ape sitting in a back room just randomly hitting the keyboard and your quote is whatever he types? Also why is there such a huge difference between companies? My insurance was £3 something this year from esure (for the record who were very good when my dad made a claim on his insurance) and I was getting quotes as high as £2000 for exactly the same thing. Why?

so who is the broker you went with ?

(mine is due in 2 days £850 so far with 5yrs+ NCD, clean licence, all mods declared etc) :crybaby:

The broker is 'Motor Direct' give them a try, nothing to lose.

I recieved all the docs in the post today - I was a bit puzzled as to what the actual cost of the premium was. The brokers document said £270 but the underwriters policy docs had £320 on them. So i called them to double check what i had paid. They confirmed it was £270 and said the reason for the difference was that they actually made a loss on my buisness!

This i find a bit strange........are they that desperate for my buisness they take a loss? Seems some companies actually do this to get you on their books. I'll probably find the premium goes up next year to recover this. Then i'll be in the same boat of hunting for the cheapest quote again.

My postcode is HU which ranked in the top 3 of highest risk for insurers so i'm please i've kept it down to a reasonable price.

Good luck with the hunting Wozza............

I recieved all the docs in the post today - I was a bit puzzled as to what the actual cost of the premium was. The brokers document said £270 but the underwriters policy docs had £320 on them. So i called them to double check what i had paid. They confirmed it was £270 and said the reason for the difference was that they actually made a loss on my buisness!

This i find a bit strange........are they that desperate for my buisness they take a loss? Seems some companies actually do this to get you on their books.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't sound too likely to me that they'd really make a loss on your business, particularly given how easy it is to hunt around for other quotes and switch at renewal time.

My guess is that even if they made a nominal loss on your particular policy, they recouped that via some sort of monthly/quarterly bonus for how many policies they could sell in that time period.

DOES anyone have points on there licence?? and if so how much do you pay? £1200?? i have 6 :crybaby: two lots of speeding...one in a temporay speed limit area that i did not notice until i got pulled :tsktsk: and my insurance quotes are riduculas :shutit:

is there any other option than flog the car and walk?

DOES anyone have points on there licence?? and if so how much do you pay? £1200?? i have 6 :crybaby: two lots of speeding...one in a temporay speed limit area that i did not notice until i got pulled :tsktsk: and my insurance quotes are riduculas :shutit:

The insurance quotes depend on a lot of other factors too like age, occupation, where you live etc.

I've got 3 points (very annoying, I'm usually very careful but I was in a 30 limit when I thought it was still 40) and I'm paying £315.

The insurance quotes depend on a lot of other factors too like age, occupation, where you live etc.

I've got 3 points (very annoying, I'm usually very careful but I was in a 30 limit when I thought it was still 40) and I'm paying £315.

se9 is my post code so they wont help... i think i need to get a smaller engine car... but i love my lexus grrrrrrrrr

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links