Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

I know the subject of tyres for the LS has been covered a number of times and results are generally similar.

LS 400 16" wheels; Dunlop D8Z 225/60/16.

The recommended tyre of choice on the LS 400. Unbelievably quite, comfortable and good grip wet or dry.

The only tyre fitted to my LS 400 series IV when it had 16" wheels.

LS 430 17" wheels; Dunlop SP270 225/55/17.

Often listed as the best tyre for the series I LS 430.

These were the tyres fitted to my Ls 400 Series IV when I fitted LS 430 alloys to it. They ran a close second to the D8Z but not as comfortable. Possibly due to the smaller, stiffer sidewall of the 55 series tyre.

But what about the Series II Ls 430 with 18" wheels?

They were fitted as standard with 245/45/18 Bridgestone Turanza ER 33 tyres. But having searched the forums there is not much information or opinions on these tyres.

Currently mine is fitted with Dunlop SP9000 which I find extremely noisy especially at motorway speeds. They are due for a change soon and I am looking for some advice on a replacement.

The list of likely contenders so far is;

Dunlop Sport Maxx

Yokohama V550 db

Bridgestone ER 33

Michelin Pilot Primacy

Continental sport contact 2

Pirelli P6

I do a lot of motorway miles so I am looking for a quite tyre; ultimate grip is not an issue as it’s not driven like a sports car.

What tyres do you have fitted to your 18”s? Would you buy them again? Would you recommend them?

Unfortunately no garage I know lets you return tyres if you don’t like them. Once they are fitted you are stuck with them until they wear out.

All experiences, advice and recommendations welcome.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark

I'm kinda wondering the same myself. I had an LS400 until last Oct. when I bought a 2005 LS430 that came with Bridgestone E33's. I have to admit, I find these a little noisier than the Dunlops or the Pirelli's I had on my LS400 but that could be due to the smaller tyre wall. I will be due a change in about 3 months or so and am starting to wonder about which ones to go for.

Might be worth checking out some of "Haylands" replies on here. He is usually quite knowlegable about all things LS. The force is strong in that one!

alright mate ive just been doing sum research and it seems bridgestone turanza serenitys are very good tyres for the ls430, they are new tyres and the reviews so far have shown they are very quiet and provide good grip too

Hi Mark

Might be worth checking out some of "Haylands" replies on here. He is usually quite knowlegable about all things LS. The force is strong in that one!

Thank you Luke, when will you join me.....

What I did find out about quiet tyres is that it seems to depend on the size of the tread blocks, just about everyone now has different sized blocks around the wheel to break up the airflow and reduce drumming, but the tyres with smaller blocks seem to be the quiet ones, directional tyres seem to be the noisiest

The sp sport 270 looks like this and is very quiet

dunlop_sp_sport_270.jpg

The Sp 9000 looks like this and is noisy

dunlop_sp9000.gif

The tyres I have recently put on, very cheap Far East tyres look like this and were pretty quiet to start with but have now got noisier over time,

207391.jpg

They are far more supple than the Dunlop’s though and they soak up pot holes and cats eyes much better, they also have amasing grip in the dry or wet so I suppose there will never be a "perfect tyre"

I've put the cheap ones on until I get the caster sorted on mine... see other thread, when these wear out I'll be after some better quality quiet tyres as Dunlop has stopped making the 270....

My local tyre depot said they would fit tyres to my car and I could try them out and see if they were noisy, they would change them if they were. So there are places that will help you out, just tell them what you want, they are all feeling the pinch at the moment and if you are going to buy four expensive tyres then you have some bargaining tool...

Good Luck

Pete

Obe-Wan has spoken!

Hi Mark

Thank you Luke, when will you join me.....

What I did find out about quiet tyres is that it seems to depend on the size of the tread blocks, just about everyone now has different sized blocks around the wheel to break up the airflow and reduce drumming, but the tyres with smaller blocks seem to be the quiet ones, directional tyres seem to be the noisiest

The sp sport 270 looks like this and is very quiet

dunlop_sp_sport_270.jpg

The Sp 9000 looks like this and is noisy

dunlop_sp9000.gif

The tyres I have recently put on, very cheap Far East tyres look like this and were pretty quiet to start with but have now got noisier over time,

207391.jpg

They are far more supple than the Dunlop’s though and they soak up pot holes and cats eyes much better, they also have amasing grip in the dry or wet so I suppose there will never be a "perfect tyre"

I've put the cheap ones on until I get the caster sorted on mine... see other thread, when these wear out I'll be after some better quality quiet tyres as Dunlop has stopped making the 270....

My local tyre depot said they would fit tyres to my car and I could try them out and see if they were noisy, they would change them if they were. So there are places that will help you out, just tell them what you want, they are all feeling the pinch at the moment and if you are going to buy four expensive tyres then you have some bargaining tool...

Good Luck

Pete

I thought I might add my 2 bobs worth.

When I bought my 2004 LS430 just over a year ago, it came with Dunlops. I believe they were the SP sport. They were noisy, and also caused a vibration under braking. I now have Michelin Piolot Sports on the front and back and I can tell you the difference is amazing. It is now whisper quiet, no more vibration under braking and the car feels more stable.

Michelin's all the way in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for all the replies.

Sorry for the long delay in my reply but I have been on holiday in Rhodes 28 degrees, hot sun and cold beer. If only I could have got the Lexus in my luggage it would have been perfect.

However it did give me the chance to ride in a number of Mercedes taxis mostly E class but some S class, I have to say I got some odd looks when the drivers caught me checking out their tyres.

All the S class tyres were on Michelin Pilot sports and the E class were a three way split between the continetal sport contact 2, the Michelin pilot sport and a Michelin primacy HP.

Of the three tyres, the Michelins was the quietest and in my opinion the primacy HP was the smoother of the two. According to Michelins website The HP also lasts 25% longer as well.

My back tyres will be fitted with HP’s at the end of the month but I may swap them to the front as that’s were most of the noise seems to be coming from.

I will update you on the tyres when I’ve got some miles on them.

Mark

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links